The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pesky Neighbors Don't Like My Dog Training

Tell em to "Pound sand".....once you cave and not train in YOUR front yard, you are playing into their hands, maybe I dont like seeing their fat rear ends waddle to the mailbox...wait till they get a load of me cleaning my shotgun in the garage or shooting my bow in the driveway....cant wait to drive up wit a big ole elk sticking out the back of the pick up truck or lining up a limit of ducks and geese in the driveway and taking tailgate pictures

Nosey neighbors can KMA
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I live in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC, so nearly everybody is a liberal lawyer wannabe where I live. I go to great lengths to NOT have conflicts like that one. People are well meaning, they see no reason a dog should ever have to do something unpleasant, and will never appreciate what we do. I can't change them, would not profit by doing so, and therefore avoid wasting time and energy in interacting with non-like minded people.

My yard ill do what i want to!!!!!!!!!!! Hang a sign NO tresspassing if she shows up again show her sign tell her you will press charges!!!!! POUND SAND
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

This reminds me of a time when I was at a public park…

I would get there before sun up to run a drill or two and then walk with my dog, without a lead. Other folks got their early as well to walk their K9 companions off lead as well. I was approached by a woman who was clearly upset. She had two labs with her. She started to scold me about the e-collar my dog was wearing (I had not used it this morning) and how cruel it was… all while her labs are nipping at my dog. I called my dog to me and he came a sat at heel. I controlled my frustration and tried to educate her on the e-collar and how when used properly was quite humane.. yada.. yada .. yada and for the Safety of the dog … using the example of “here”.

She did not want to hear it…

Not one minute later a skunk goes running by. My dog takes a few step toward the skunk and I say sit which he does. I bet you can guess what happened next.

Yep!. Before I even go to turn I hear here screaming… Here! Here! No… Here!

Two very stinky Labs went home with her.

JW

Well I have to say this board and the people on it are awesome! I have posted on a breed forum in the past and always have to be mindful of the Liberal Feel Good Mafia's presence. No such malarkey here.

I did engage this woman in the street, so she did not trespass. She did however, threaten that if the dog is ever missing, that I would know where it is. I am still pissed off about this situation and was concerned about over reacting at the time but in hindsight that may of stopped her in her tracks.

Thanks for the replies.

Personally, I wouldn't FF in public, primarily for the sake of the dog. The beginning of force training can be stressful even overwhelming for a dog and I prefer to give them as distraction free environment as possible so they can focus entirely on the work. If you have a choice between doing your walking fetch in the back yard rather than the front, I would choose the former regardless of the proximity of neighbors, to reduce extraneous distractions.

You might think I am being too concerned the feelings of others but I have come to appreciate that life is a two way street; so... though being told I was cruel to my dog would annoy me, it would do so much less than knowing I could not amicably discuss any grevenses I might have with my neighbors' behavior.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

My yard, my rules. Teach the dog to "potty" on command using a scarecrow as a target...the next time he/she visits uninvited, unannounced, and chest bowed its GAME ON!!!
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Nothing to be gained from a conflict however, if she persisted or in any way attempted to take the dog, then yea, we would have a problem. I would absolutely call the law after I asked her to stop harassing me, and I would make sure I called them first.
    Darrin Greene

Although annoying, I suggest careful deliberation about where you train and before any response. A few minutes of timely video in the wrong hands or website can lead to more trouble than you really want. Not saying it's right but I've seen the process.

Get a bandana--they're useful for retriever training in public. They can be tied around prong collars and ecollars, so you look like a doting owner who'd never, ever do anything mean to your doggie. They don't exactly project that "cool" image, but neither does a squad car or the animal cops pulling up with the incident report [/QUOTE]

Great idea Julie. Years ago I got grief from someone while walking my Basenji in the local park using a prong collar. He was an alpha dog and drama queen who would vocalize when corrected. I got quite a lecture and a "I'll report you" from someone walking by who saw the collar.

"I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I love to play"