The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Pesky Neighbors Don't Like My Dog Training

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    RIght or wrong, you have to ask yourself if it's worth the fight and agrivation. Sometimes swallowing your pride is the better route.
    Definitely worth a 2nd & 3rd read and should be committed to memory whenever we have our dogs out in public.

This thread reminded me of an incident I had a couple of years ago. I'd loaded up the dogs on a beautiful spring day to train, but had to run errands first. Finishing up, I stopped by a strip mall to pick up a couple things our club needed for our hunt test the next day. I parked the truck and even though it was only 72 degrees out, left it running with the AC on just in case and ran in and grabbed what I needed. While in line at the check out, I overheard the clerk talking to the woman in front of me about how the cops were there because someone had left dogs locked in a hot car. A quick glance outside revealed a delegation of uniforms and people gathering around MY truck! I ran out and some woman was shrieking about how the poor dogs were dying. I'd actually noticed her earlier since she was sitting on a bench outside the store wearing a dirty aqua house coat and smoking a cigarette. I really had to bite my tongue not to give her a piece of my mind when she screeched to the cops the dogs had been there all day and am glad I kept my cool.

One of the cops had some gizmo he pointed at my window that he said gave him a temp. reading inside the car, and it registered over 100 degrees! Now bear in mind it was only 72 degrees outside and, I had my AC on. I opened the door and politely invited the cop to take the inside temp (also 72 degrees) and resisted the urge to whisper sic-sic-sic-sic to the sleeping Chesapeakes. I also produced a dated deposit slip from the bank a few miles away where I'd been 20 minutes earlier to refute the psycho woman's claim the dogs had been there suffering for hours. Because I was the HT sec., I realized how much trouble I could be in if I got ticketed for animal cruelty even if the charges were totally bogus, and how expensive/time wasting it would be if I got charged. So even though I was furious I was polite and helpful to the cops and said nothing to the freak that called them and once things were explained to them, the cops were OK although they warned me to be careful on hot days (as if!) These days you cannot be too careful--no matter how wrong the neighbors/complainers are, it's NOT worth the trouble of stirring them up.

Last edited by Julie R.; 01-18-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Get a bandana--they're useful for retriever training in public. They can be tied around prong collars and ecollars, so you look like a doting owner who'd never, ever do anything mean to your doggie.
    Check out these prong collar covers. Beats a bandana.

http://www.cozycritter.com/prongcovers.htm
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

You may have noticed that in modern day America, all are "entitled" to an opinion even if completely ignorant on the topic. It seems the less people know, the more vocal they become.

Its not just gun dog training. Cesar Millan is often criticized for "kicking" dogs while rehabilitating them. It seems that people are just ignorant when it comes to dogs. Most time I just walk the other way when I see someone cuing their dog like its a child. Those people are just selfish and uneducated. I don't know about you guys but I would rather see someone correct their dog rather than seeing aggressive, nervous, and frustrated dogs. I guess I'm just a barbarian
    Jon Couch
    Duck Creek Kennels
    Allegan, MI

http://duckcreekkennels.com

"It's very important to constantly analyze what you are doing and whether your dogs are being good or bad because of what you are doing or in spite of what you are doing." Mike Lardy

I had one of those nosey folks by my old house. To start with I was on city council and was on great terms with the police chief and prosecuting atty. That said I never did have to call in a favor thankfully. This lady was a hard core bunny hugger and she had made a comment one time about some dog training something and saw the e collar. She went in to a rant and said she was going to call blah blah. I told her go ahead and I will be calling the building inspector, DEA. children's services and the center for disease control on her and asked her if she still wanted to proceed. I then explained about how glass houses worked. Never spoke another word.. I am sure most people dont want the attn of the "man" directed to themselves either.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Amrein View Post
    I had one of those nosey folks by my old house. To start with I was on city council and was on great terms with the police chief and prosecuting atty. That said I never did have to call in a favor thankfully. This lady was a hard core bunny hugger and she had made a comment one time about some dog training something and saw the e collar. She went in to a rant and said she was going to call blah blah. I told her go ahead and I will be calling the building inspector, DEA. children's services and the center for disease control on her and asked her if she still wanted to proceed. I then explained about how glass houses worked. Never spoke another word.. I am sure most people dont want the attn of the "man" directed to themselves either.
    I believe this is exactly the right approach! Just yeilding to these people only gives them more power. There are very few people without dirt. Find out what it is and use it against them and your problem is likely to go away without getting any law enforcement involved. You have to stand up for yourself people, even if it is a little inconvenient and uncomfortable!!
    Last edited by TimFenstermacher; 01-18-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimFenstermacher View Post
    I believe this is exactly the right approach! Just yeilding to these people only gives them more power. There are very few people without dirt. Find out what it is and use it against them and your problem is likely to go away without getting any law enforcement involved. You have to stand up for yourself people, even if it is a little inconvient and uncomfortable!!
    I sure do hate kow-towing to these self appointed experts, but with my luck, if I'd bitch slapped that old battle ax in the aqua house coat for calling the cops on me, she would've been the mayor's wife.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    I sure do hate kow-towing to these self appointed experts, but with my luck, if I'd bitch slapped that old battle ax in the aqua house coat for calling the cops on me, she would've been the mayor's wife.
    Your right Julie that would be my luck too. Imposing violence on these people is definitely not the answer. Outsmarting them is. It is easy to say how we would react when it's not us that's in the situation. Sounds like you handled it the best way possible.

when i had a litter of pups on the ground and it was time to introduce pigeons at 7 weeks it went well with all very birdy so we left 2 friends playing with the pups and we went and trained their parents when we got home there was a message to call the police so I did and the officer said some women had called concerned about the welfare of the birds , he then said he had gone in the back yard and checked the pups (gates were locked) and then I went off on him and I asked him if I broke an laws? his comment was I could site you for disturbing the peace. Well
    I had his captain called who I have known for 30 yrs and asked if he wanted me to call 911 every time I saw a squirrel hit by a car or a rabbit he said I wish you wouldn't and he said he would have a talk to the officer no problems since
    David Jansma
    The time you spend on earth with your dog is precious; enjoy it to your fullest

My husband and I stopped at the grocery store after our 9 to 5 job on a hot hot day, the girls go to work with us every day (when not in training) and were in the truck with air running. we went into the store for 15 minutes, power shopped and came out, walking to the truck - we ran into a complainer.... Well, the truck has the logo and name of our 9-5 job on the doors. So, the complainer states "-businees name- must have so much money they can leave the vehicle running!" My husband enjoyed his reply of... with more 'decorated' words added... "there are dogs in the truck!" The old complainer looked up at the truck to see the girls wagging their tails - awaiting our arrival! the old crabber shut up, lowered his head, and walked away... feeling like a heel!

so what ever you do... you won't be right in some ones eyes, be right in yours and your dogs eyes! and don't ff in front of people who don't have a clue, but don't it stop ff!and make sure you have the first complaint to the police!

the owners, trainers, vets, ect understand that these dogs are atheletes - which most of the owners, trainers, vets ect (& neiborbors) could not do half of what these great dogs do! training for any athlete is hard work! and anyone who does not understand that they are grand - are uneducated and misguided.
    Laurel Perram
    http://www.lantzslakeretrievers.com/

DreamMeyer's Hope of the Summit MH "Hope"
    DreamMeyer's Faith at the Summit MH "Faith
    Lzl's Loaded Gun SH "Pow"