The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pesky Neighbors Don't Like My Dog Training

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    I agree with Terry. At minimum start logging her threats.

/Paul
    I agree with this also. I'd be getting the "temperature" of the local police and beginning to establish a relationship. Be sure to paint the picture of a responsible sportsman doing reasonable dog training. Don't paint yourself with the brush of the kooky crybaby who wants to tattle on the neighbors. With many folks on the law enforcement side, this can be a fine line between the 2 types.

Sometimes we need to look at things through another persons eyes. While we know exactly what your doing Ersa that has been programmed by those disgusting add campaigns sees it differently.

Before you all crucify me think about it. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor..........find another spot and let Ersa get some puppy kisses from your happy dawg.

Of course Ersa is a figment of my imagination....
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Twenty nine years ago I bought 80 acres 7 1/2 miles out side of a small town. Before I signed the papers, I went to my -to be- next door neighbor who lived about 125 yds. East of where I planned to build a 21 run kennel (you can never have too much room) and asked her if she objected about dogs barking, since that"s what kenneled dogs often do. She said that she liked to hear them bark, that she didn't feel so alone. (She was 80 years old, widowed, and still raised a herd of cows.) The only complaint I ever heard was, "Bill, would you climb over the fence and see if you can see my red cow, she is due to calve, and I haven't seen her today?" The only time I ever had a problem was when I was awakened at 2 AM by a shot gun shot, followed by two more. She called the next morning to tell me it was her that shot. It seems that a young AA came to her door and said, "Lady, I got trouble". She shoved the end of the shot gun thru the chained door and said," Fellow, you don't know what trouble is," and with that she fired again as he jumped the front gate. She put another shot after in case he decided to stop by Cleo and Bill's house. She was a great neighbor for years and those that have moved here since she died, know that they have moved next to a kennel through their own choice and we have had no comments.

The local game wardens know we train dogs and the only time they have come on the place was when we called them to help get some deer hunters gather up their dogs from our property. Strange dogs or strange people are not welcome on breeding kennel property. Cleo is Parvo paranoid, and you don't want to run into a paranoid Cleo, don't ask hoe I know. Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

I haven't read all the posts , but you are BEGGING for trouble in today's society with an ear pinch , prong collar , etc.... A vocal dog sounds/looks great on some shmucks cell phone ... Its called EVIDENCE in a courtroom.........Better safe than sorry regards..........
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com

I live in town and have done ob/FF/CC work in my back yard, down the alley way at my old house and now in a dead end street at my new house. I have always been very cautious about doing this. I have taken a proactive approach and it has worked for me. I have taken my closest neighbors and let them know I train dogs and that sometimes it appears the dog is not enjoying things so much. You may see them bite,squal, etc. You may see me pull on their toes, their ears and use various pieces of equipment you are not familiar with. I encourage them to watch and ask questions if they like. Most don't pay attention and go about their lives. I've had a couple come out periodically and watch. Knock on wood I've had no bad encounters. I think part of the reason for this is my dogs always look happy and enjoy being with me, even after a FF session. secondly it is important to be in control. A onlooker should be able to tell a difference from a out of control person taking aggression out on a dog versus a "good dog" extra loud so if anyone is watching they can hear my positive response to the dog.

With that said, I sympathize with you as I'm not so naive as to beleieve evryone has an open mind and can be educated.

Good Luck!!

What is the neighbor really like? Perhaps if you explain that all dogs, but especially working dogs need to mind unerringly for their own safety she would see that short periods of discomfort can prevent serious injury. My niece's boyfriend and his roommate had a couple of dogs that weren't trained. A couple of months ago they bolted through the open door and both got hit by a car. Boyfriend's dog seriously injured and big vet bills, roommate's dog killed. Had they had an absolute SIT, they could have been stopped before getting to the street. A tragic but excellent example of why dogs NEED to MIND.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I had the same experience when I force fetched my last dog. Neighbor came over told me he had a book on how to train dogs.

I seen the hand writing on the wall, next would have been animal control , a ticket and tell it to the judge/

I make my mind up right then and there , to force fetch away from neighbors.

These people don't have a clue but they can cause you grief in the legal system

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post

EGADS! Potheads that will live forever!!!! The horror, the horror! Vampires on meth!!! Speed bleed!!!
    It is not so funny when the drug addicts are breaking into the houses around you, blasting out the car windows on each other and suddenly searching your barn looking for the fool.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Never seen a peeing match with those types turn out good for the trainer. Over the years I've known them actually have to move.I know one that was sentenced to anger management ( the trainer) and one go to jail for beating the complainer pretty bad.

RIght or wrong, you have to ask yourself if it's worth the fight and agrivation. Sometimes swallowing your pride is the better route.
    Bert Rodgers