The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutting down in FF

Default Shutting down in FF

My dog is six months. I first taught hold, and he is very proficient with that. I have been working on FF now for about 12 days and I have been able to transition the bumper to the ground. I am now working on walk fetch for the last 4 or 5 days. In walk fetch he refuses to fetch and avoids the bumper completly without an ear pinch, and so I apply ear pinch and force the fetch. While doing so he reaches down and puts the bumper in his mouth and then just stands there head down on the ground after I release the pinch with the bumper in his mouth and doesn't move unless I command sit, or pull his head up by the collar, or command heel and continue walking. He just seems to be shutting down from the ear pinch with head on ground after the fetch during walk fetch. Is this normal response?

He is CC and I am thinking of transitioning to the ecollar now instead of continuing with the ear pinch, and completly bypass stick fetch, I know he knows what I want. I am also considering just stopping FF for a week or so and step back altogether and start over. Thoughts on what to do please would be appreciated.

I think that you are moving to the next step, before thoroughly completing the previous one.

If he is real confused about the whole process, then a week or two break could help him. But, if he got the ff and then the ff on the ground, I'd keep on ff'ing. During walking fetch, I'd pinch until his lips were around the bumper, let go of his ear but keep hold of his collar and keep on walking. If he dropped the bumper, go back to ear pinch, he has no choice but to follow you as you are pulling him along. If he won't heel and hold at the same time, work on that without the fetch off the ground. Matter of fact, work on him holding the bumper while you do all obedience drills. (sit, heel, come, down etc). You could have left a hole there.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

You really need to find some experienced help. It's a hands-on learning process.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    If he is real confused about the whole process, then a week or two break could help him. But, if he got the ff and then the ff on the ground, I'd keep on ff'ing. During walking fetch, I'd pinch until his lips were around the bumper, let go of his ear but keep hold of his collar and keep on walking. If he dropped the bumper, go back to ear pinch, he has no choice but to follow you as you are pulling him along. If he won't heel and hold at the same time, work on that without the fetch off the ground. Matter of fact, work on him holding the bumper while you do all obedience drills. (sit, heel, come, down etc). You could have left a hole there.
    Howard thanks. He holds fine with all OB drills, and will hold at heel while pulling him along by his collar after ff to the ground. He just seems to be shutting down with ear pinch and avoids the bumpers completly without it. He will play fetch with bumpers fine so I dont think its the bumpers I am using.

I had the exact same problem with my first dog during force and a little with my second. Give dog a day or so to rest then back to walking fetch. I worked both of my dogs through it. It takes time and I always tried to end a session with a fetch with little to no ear pinch if possible. I am by no means anywhere close to a pro or even a decent ameatur for that matter as I have only FF two dogs but same situation. Best advise is find someone with vast experience or a professional.

Create some momentum , don't wait and see what he will do , pinch the ear , get the bumper in his mouth ,"GOOD BOY!", lift him up , take the bumper and go to the next one. quick , quick.....create a flow , a dance of sorts , keep it moving.....
    once you get some momentum built then slip in a freebie he if he does not respond immediately, quick back on the ear
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Which video's have you watched?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Which video's have you watched?

/Paul
    I am using Lardy TRT

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    Create some momentum , don't wait and see what he will do , pinch the ear , get the bumper in his mouth ,"GOOD BOY!", lift him up , take the bumper and go to the next one. quick , quick.....create a flow , a dance of sorts , keep it moving.....
    once you get some momentum built then slip in a freebie he if he does not respond immediately, quick back on the ear
    Sounds like good advise right there for this situation, I will try that