The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Thur Aft with TY

  1. #11
    Senior Member copterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    I cannot express enough how important it is that you separate the yard from the field right now. It is critical.

    Pile work, is yard work.
    Marks, are field work.

    DON'T MIX THEM TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!

    The yard is full of pressure. You are teaching the dog how to deal with it, and work through it.
    When you get through it, you can leave all that "pressure baggage" in the yard, and bring the skills that you taught the dog in the yard, into the field.

    But, you can't do that, if you did yard work in the field, and field work in the yard during basics.


    Separate them.
    Have a place that you do yard work, and do your yard work there.
    Have a DIFFERENT place that you can work on marking, and do you marking sessions there.

    They don't need to be miles apart. As long as the dog can separate the two "worlds" it's what you want.

    And quit throwing marks from the dog's side. Get a helper to throw for you. Or, sit the dog, walk out and throw it yourself.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Jay-Bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The X
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I cannot express enough how important it is that you separate the yard from the field right now. It is critical.

    Pile work, is yard work.
    Marks, are field work.

    DON'T MIX THEM TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!

    The yard is full of pressure. You are teaching the dog how to deal with it, and work through it.
    When you get through it, you can leave all that "pressure baggage" in the yard, and bring the skills that you taught the dog in the yard, into the field.

    But, you can't do that, if you did yard work in the field, and field work in the yard during basics.


    Separate them.
    Have a place that you do yard work, and do your yard work there.
    Have a DIFFERENT place that you can work on marking, and do you marking sessions there.

    They don't need to be miles apart. As long as the dog can separate the two "worlds" it's what you want.

    And quit throwing marks from the dog's side. Get a helper to throw for you. Or, sit the dog, walk out and throw it yourself.

    Its very hard to find 1 spot to train right now, two would be almost impossible... Also pretty hard to get anyone out when its -27 celcius.
    Also you are the only one to offer advice on seperating them, infact others have encouraged it to get a more balanced approach. He absolutely loves marks and retrieving, it makes him happy.
    Doin the best i can with absolutely horrible conditions.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Wayne Nutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    4,246

    Default

    I don't agree with anything Paul said. And he is right, he doesn't make any of the rules.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

    HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I don't agree with anything Paul said. And he is right, he doesn't make any of the rules.

    Now wait just a minute here Wayne, you say you don't agree with me and then, you end up agreeing with me? lol...

  5. #15
    Senior Member Wayne Nutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    4,246

    Default

    I should have said, I don't agree with anything Paul said but .......
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

    HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I should have said, I don't agree with anything Paul said but .......
    going to have to start including you in the Fallon and Marvin wisecracks pretty soon...

  7. #17
    Senior Member Wayne Nutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    4,246

    Default

    My two cents. It is not necessary to train every day. A minimum of four days a week is necessary and you can produce a good gun dog with this effort.

    I train 5-6 days a week depending on whether it is hunting season or not. I do not do marks every day. Typically I will do marks, drills and blinds (depending on the stage of training) on M-W-F. On Tues and Thru I will do only drills or blind work. Sat I usually do just marks with young dogs and work with my clients and friends with their dogs.

    Balance is important but by this I think it means don't get in a rut and just do one thing for an extended period. A few days in a row in focusing on a specific task is not a program ender IMHO.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

    HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

  8. #18
    Senior Member Jay-Bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The X
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Had a great day today. Although it is -23 with the wind TY and i went out alone,(without my brittany) i got to my spot let him out of the truck, had him sit, released him to air out,tossed some fun bumpers, reigned him in, sat him at the line i walked out and dumped my pail of bumpers ran him to the pile 5 times, waled away from the line and tossed a couple fun bumpers came back to the line ran him back 4 or so times, stepped away and gave him some fun bumpers sat him and walked out to the left and right to drop 3 bumpers in both over piles sat him at the apex of the t and did a couple/few backs then an over and repeated 3 times. Walked away tossed fun bumpers and moved on to a handfull of marks with real birds and dokkens.
    He is running really good now and happy as can be, tail just givin'er.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Steve Shaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cornish Utah
    Posts
    1,435

    Default

    I'd start backin off the fun bumpers a little. a couple beofre you start and a couple after and keep the session fun.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •