RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Fun with pup and sheet water

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Mountain Duck 
#1 ·
With 4"+ of rain (and now a bunch of snow) my pasture had some standing water which made for a good photo op and chance to introduce my 7 month old pup to decoys.

I'm a little partial, but I think he's gonna be a looker! He's certainly a naive little model at this age! My older dogs know all the tricks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice photos. (might want to update your watermark, tho. ;) )

What lens(es) were you using?
Yeah, give. Lenses, ISO, exposure settings, etc.

Thanks.

#3 ·
:D I was bragging the other day about how I hadn't written 2012 on anything yet!! Oops!

Camera: Nikon D7000
Lens: Nikon 70-200 VR II

Image #1
Focal Length: 180mm
Exposure
Aperture: f/5
Shutter Speed: 1/125s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: +1.0EV
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: Auto (ISO 1600)

Image #2
Focal Length: 200mm
Exposure
Shutter Speed: 1/640s
Exposure Comp.: +0.3EV
Exposure Tuning:
ISO Sensitivity: Auto (ISO 1250)

Image #3
Focal Length: 185mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
Shutter Speed: 1/640s
Exposure Comp.: +0.3EV
ISO Sensitivity: Auto (ISO 1100)
White Balance: Cloudy, 0, 0

Image #4
Focal Length: 90mm
Exposure
Shutter Speed: 1/500s
Exposure Comp.: +1.0EV
Exposure Tuning:
ISO Sensitivity: Auto (ISO 1600)

What I typically do is set the camera to Aperture Priority, choose the Aperture I want based on my depth of field I think I need (or want). Then I set my Auto ISO parameters up. A lot of people do not like Auto ISO, but I like to use it a lot. Especially with the D7000, and to a little lesser extent the D300. I can set my minimum shutter speed within Auto ISO, AND the maximum ISO I am comfortable with.

With using Auto ISO, I can kind of create an Aperture/Shutter Priority hybrid mode. I typically find that the camera will often choose a lower ISO value than I would have set manually, becasue I always tended to boost ISO to ensure sufficient shutter speed.

Shooting black dogs typically requires some + Exposure comp. However I was a little hot at +1.0 on a couple of these. I usually try to expose as far to the right as possible without clipping too many critical highlights. Underexposed black dogs usually make for mushy shadows in post proc.

I swore up and down my next pup was gonna be a dark yeller one!! :D

#4 ·
Here's a neat little tool that you can use to look at exif data on photos if you are so inclined. Some times the exif is stripped and not visible, but often times you can use this tool to look at the settings. Once downloaded, you can right click the photo, and select the exif tool from the menu. just don't click "save as" :p

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/download.htm

#5 ·
Here's a neat little tool that you can use to look at exif data on photos if you are so inclined. Some times the exif is stripped and not visible, but often times you can use this tool to look at the settings. Once downloaded, you can right click the photo, and select the exif tool from the menu. just don't click "save as" :p

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/download.htm
Thanks for all the info!! I don't think my bodies are capable of setting up like you are (several generations old Canons). I almost always shoot aperture pref also, but primarily so that I can have the highest shutter speed possible with the light available. The link above leads to what looks like a cool tool, but doesn't appear to be MAC compatible (rats).

#8 ·
Great pics as usual Eric. Breeding on pup?

#9 ·
Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Otey, I got him from Brady Collins in Kingston, TN. He is out of Troublesome You'll See*** (FC AFC Ruger son) x Jake's Troublesome Sky.

Tickled to death with him! Great attitude in the yard, plenty of go, and just an overall great temperment and personality around the house and kids.

#10 ·
Eric thought i saw some of those Troublesome things in him......Brady has some nice dogs along with John .

#13 ·
Finn, I had an older version of the lens I have now. It was my absolute workhorse lens that I used the most, and that's why I bought another, and upgraded in the process. That's just a great focal length on a cropped body IMO. I also shoot a 300 f2.8. I will often times use a 1.7 teleconverter which makes it a 500. Great lens, that can produce great results when you need it, BUT it gets too long pretty quick when dogs are moving towards you. I use it a lot at Hunt Tests, training days, or other times when I want to stay out of the way. If I'm working my own dogs in my own setups, I'll grab the 70-200 most of the time.

That's a nice shot. You're right...black dogs and snow=tough!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.