The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water Blind...

[QUOTE=Keith Farmer;1057165]Steve:

On and off the first point...by the other two.

There is plenty of room between the points. The more experienced dogs got on and off as directed, pushed a little left of the second point then started pushing off of the last point which afforded the opportunity for a left back-cast to drive them closer to the point but not get on...

That was what I was expecting to hear ...thanks ..Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

That looks like an awesome blind, I would love to have ground like that to train on.

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    Did you expect the dogs to stay wet ? How tight was the line between the points? Steve S
    Just my feelings and I wasn't there and have never seen this piece of land and water.

In training this is what I do. In a trial, it is on one and by two.

I've got two dogs who are quite different in water attitude. One can be a land seeking missile and in training I might handle her around all three points or around any of the two and on and off the other point. To not mess with her initial lines I would almost always handle her on and off the the first point and decide after that whether or not to put her on any of the other points. On is no problem with her, off can be, so I'd read her and run the blind according to what I thought she needed.

My other dog is watery to a fault so in almost all cases I would put her on the close point and at least one of the later two. If we got into a fight handling onto any of the points, the next time I ran a water blind with a point way out there I'd definitely put her on.

On a blind like this one, I'd train the dogs by what I thought they needed.

Nice water blind.
    Last edited by Howard N; 01-18-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Just my feelings and I wasn't there and have never seen this piece of land and water.

In training this is what I do. In a trial, it is on one and by two.

I've got two dogs who are quite different in water attitude. One can be a land seeking missile and in training I might handle her around all three points or around any of the two and on and off the other point. To not mess with her initial lines I would almost always handle her on and off the the first point and decide after that whether or not to put her on any of the other points. On is no problem with her, off can be, so I'd read her and run the blind according to what I thought she needed.

My other dog is watery to a fault so in almost all cases I would put her on the close point and at least one of the later two. If we got into a fight handling onto any of the points, the next time I ran a water blind with a point way out there I'd definitely put her on.

Nice water blind.
    I agree, in training with dogs of different attitude, I might run it different with each depending on several things. Almost always in training if a dog seeks land, I keep them in the water, if a dog seeks water I put them on the points. Blinds are about compliance & control, so in training I exercise control based upon how the dog reacts to the set-up.
    David Didier, GA

Exactly.

In this scenario every dog I ran required a cast to get on the point. Some I stopped and cast into the water from the point to solidify the lesson...others I let roll over the point because they demonstrated they understood the plan.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Gen 1:1 NKJV)... 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. (John 1:1-4NKJV)

No evolution, no monkey ancestors, no big bang!

Nice. Can't wait until the water thaws here again.

Quote Originally Posted by steve hamel View Post
    keith,

our water is hard and our ground is covered in white. I envy you.
    yep.......................
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    I agree, in training with dogs of different attitude, I might run it different with each depending on several things. Almost always in training if a dog seeks land, I keep them in the water, if a dog seeks water I put them on the points. Blinds are about compliance & control, so in training I exercise control based upon how the dog reacts to the set-up.
    I would add that if I cast my dog on and off a point and then took a nice cast and was swimming on a good line about to skim the next point (not seeking water or land) then I would probably not touch them. Also for me now, if the dog doesn't receive permission to get out he best stay wet.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie