RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Water Blind...

5K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Breck 
#1 ·
This is a water blind we ran today. Heavy angling in cross wind...bird was planted behind the down tree limb which is about 100 yards up and out.

From the line:

Close up:

See less See more
#13 · (Edited)
Just my feelings and I wasn't there and have never seen this piece of land and water.

In training this is what I do. In a trial, it is on one and by two.

I've got two dogs who are quite different in water attitude. One can be a land seeking missile and in training I might handle her around all three points or around any of the two and on and off the other point. To not mess with her initial lines I would almost always handle her on and off the the first point and decide after that whether or not to put her on any of the other points. On is no problem with her, off can be, so I'd read her and run the blind according to what I thought she needed.

My other dog is watery to a fault so in almost all cases I would put her on the close point and at least one of the later two. If we got into a fight handling onto any of the points, the next time I ran a water blind with a point way out there I'd definitely put her on.

On a blind like this one, I'd train the dogs by what I thought they needed.

Nice water blind.

#3 ·
could you see the dog when it went over the first spit of land, and what happened , did any dogs land on the second spit...or for that matter on the third spit of land.....could the dog be seen throughout the entire line to the blind....

Sure is a nice piece of property you have there Keith !!!

#17 ·
#5 ·
Steve:

Did you expect the dogs to stay wet ?
On and off the first point...by the other two.

How tight was the line between the points?

There is plenty of room between the points. The more experienced dogs got on and off as directed, pushed a little left of the second point then started pushing off of the last point which afforded the opportunity for a left back-cast to drive them closer to the point but not get on...

#11 ·
Steve:

On and off the first point...by the other two.

There is plenty of room between the points. The more experienced dogs got on and off as directed, pushed a little left of the second point then started pushing off of the last point which afforded the opportunity for a left back-cast to drive them closer to the point but not get on...

That was what I was expecting to hear ...thanks ..Steve S

#6 ·
Bon:

could you see the dog when it went over the first spit of land,

Yes

and what happened ,
Most of my dogs understand this concept (as well as staying off the first point and getting on later points) so most complied with the direction. One swam toward the second point.

did any dogs land on the second spit...or for that matter on the third spit of land.....
Two dogs hit that piece...one kinda fat, one just the tip. The one that got on fat took a 90 cast off the point back into the channel...good girl. The one on the tip thought he was being good and quickly resumed his journey throughthe channel and stayed off the last point.

could the dog be seen throughout the entire line to the blind....
Yes.

#7 ·
Keith,

Our water is HARD and our ground is covered in WHITE. I envy you.

That is why we are covered up with "snowbirds" in South Ga :)

#9 ·
Dirt did fine...in fact, he was the first dog I ran.

#15 ·
On a blind like this one, I'd train the dogs by what I thought they needed.

Exactly.

In this scenario every dog I ran required a cast to get on the point. Some I stopped and cast into the water from the point to solidify the lesson...others I let roll over the point because they demonstrated they understood the plan.

#16 ·
Nice. Can't wait until the water thaws here again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.