The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Fact Checking

  1. #1
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,950

    Default Fact Checking

    Due to a recent discussion on the Forum, I wanted to fact check some stuff ... and wanted to look at the various sites to do that in a fair and accurate way.

    I stumbled across this article on the biased ways of fact checking that were used during the 2012 Elections. Is it any wonder that any of us could be "low-information voter" ... depending on whose fact-checking we use?

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/201...2012-election/

    I suppose that Forbes might be considered right-wing, but they use specific examples to show the "tactics" of fact-checking.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,802

    Default

    Let me guess. The ten worst fact checks favored Democrats.

    Am I close?

    Politifact on certain topics seemed to me to be especially terrible. I learned that you can never just read their bottom line rating, you have to read their explanation and then dig some more yourself.

    One thing became abundantly clear to me this last election.
    People are most easily conned when they’re getting their disinformation from someone who seems to be part of their tribe, and MSNBC and Fox both provide ample opportunity for people to stick with their own tribe.
    Last edited by Buzz; 01-18-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  3. #3
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,950

    Default

    Buzz, the article describes "tactics" ... the examples given are right-favorable, but you could apply the "tactics" to any slant that fit your perspectives. One might expect that, since Forbes would be a right-leaning source. I would expect that both right- and left-leaning politicians would use these tactics.

    Whatever one's leanings, I'd hope that most everyone on this forum is also willing to accept facts as best they can be uncovered, so they can evaluate for themselves. That would mean that all of us have to be aware of how the facts can be manipulated to advance agendas.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  4. #4
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Buzz, the article describes "tactics" ... the examples given are right-favorable, but you could apply the "tactics" to any slant that fit your perspectives. One might expect that, since Forbes would be a right-leaning source. I would expect that both right- and left-leaning politicians would use these tactics.

    Whatever one's leanings, I'd hope that most everyone on this forum is also willing to accept facts as best they can be uncovered, so they can evaluate for themselves. That would mean that all of us have to be aware of how the facts can be manipulated to advance agendas.
    "There are lies, damned lies and statistics!!"
    Stan b & Elvis

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Let me guess. The ten worst fact checks favored Democrats.

    Am I close?

    Politifact on certain topics seemed to me to be especially terrible. I learned that you can never just read their bottom line rating, you have to read their explanation and then dig some more yourself.

    One thing became abundantly clear to me this last election.
    People are most easily conned when they’re getting their disinformation from someone who seems to be part of their tribe, and MSNBC and Fox both provide ample opportunity for people to stick with their own tribe.
    What if one watches neither? What if one has a reading program that is inclusive of all reasonable points of view? In your very closed mind what does that make those people?
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Due to a recent discussion on the Forum, I wanted to fact check some stuff ... and wanted to look at the various sites to do that in a fair and accurate way.

    I stumbled across this article on the biased ways of fact checking that were used during the 2012 Elections. Is it any wonder that any of us could be "low-information voter" ... depending on whose fact-checking we use?

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/201...2012-election/

    I suppose that Forbes might be considered right-wing, but they use specific examples to show the "tactics" of fact-checking.
    Facts are facts, black and white. It is the stuff betwen the lines that the media and sources will twist.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

  7. #7
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    What if one watches neither? What if one has a reading program that is inclusive of all reasonable points of view? In your very closed mind what does that make those people?

    I didn't know I was close minded, but if you say so...

    It is possible to be balanced in your reading, but it is also possible to ignore ideas from outside your tribe with that medium too. At least in my narrow minded opinion!
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  8. #8
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I didn't know I was close minded, but if you say so...

    It is possible to be balanced in your reading, but it is also possible to ignore ideas from outside your tribe with that medium too. At least in my narrow minded opinion!
    Buzz : I wouldn't label you as closed or narrow minded.....but IMO you/me along with everyone else on this board suffer from SELECTIVE minded reading/listening...we hear/listen to those mediums that we want to hear from and shut out those that we dont care for...

    kinda like our dogs that choose which whistle they want to hear, and which ones the choose to blow off
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  9. #9
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Buzz : I wouldn't label you as closed or narrow minded.....but IMO you/me along with everyone else on this board suffer from SELECTIVE minded reading/listening...we hear/listen to those mediums that we want to hear from and shut out those that we dont care for...

    kinda like our dogs that choose which whistle they want to hear, and which ones the choose to blow off
    Ha! My old dog is deaf... Unless I say... "You hungry?" She hears that every damn time!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I didn't know I was close minded, but if you say so...

    It is possible to be balanced in your reading, but it is also possible to ignore ideas from outside your tribe with that medium too. At least in my narrow minded opinion!
    Your 1st reaction to someone as you post is they are a follower of the following: Beck, Limbaugh, Fox News, etc. yet you do not know that for a fact.

    I read the New Yorker (Great jokes & an occasional good article, but east coast), National Review (again some good articles, but an east coast bias), lots of stuff from CATO (my favorite source as long as they stay away from drug legalization, you should try that), American Spectator (sort of an NR with different authors), Commentary (Jewishy) but written by Professory types with very interesting articles about the ME, same with Chronicles (not Jewishy but professorial with articles about our country, from these publication's lists of recommended reading I glean those books that may be of interest. Have you ever read anything by Thomas Sowell, he has written some very good stuff, at least in my narrow mind . & of course I read the local papers with the Seattle Times ranking as not quite as left leaning as the NY Times but trying. For entertainment it's SI or a sports contest, how are the Jackrabbits doing this year, I am only able to follow them on ESPN or the sports pages.

    & of course, on this forum there are some bright folks whose posts are worthy of a read , but not that many from your side of the fence, which is too bad. On certain but limited subjects most have something to offer, some just don't know when to turn it off .
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •