The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laryngeal paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    Thank you, Freya. I also snore so Mullins and Aster are in good company.
    not going there George...
    hope all is going better
    maybe it was just for the moment that your dog had a problem and then it cleared itself up...maybe

Quote Originally Posted by gmhr1 View Post
    My 13 year old had it and passed away last yr. My 12 year old was diagnosed with it a few months ago. Surgery is out of the question with him so he is on meds and we are taking it day by day.
    What meds are given and why is surgery out of the question?
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I have a 8 yr. old yellow lab that was diagnosed a few months ago with Laryngeal Paralysis. Does anyone know of a excellent vet surgeon to correct this problem? I live in North Carolina. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's heart breaking to watch this once vivacious dog have such limited activity because of his breathing and coughing.
    Thanks in advance.

Surgery is not an option because of other health issues my dog has including cancer. He is on meds for his lungs but now that its hot he is gagging/coughing alot due to the LP. We keep him inside and as calm as possible. There is a good LP group on yahoo just google it.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Quote Originally Posted by aloha52 View Post
    I have a 8 yr. old yellow lab that was diagnosed a few months ago with Laryngeal Paralysis. Does anyone know of a excellent vet surgeon to correct this problem? I live in North Carolina. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's heart breaking to watch this once vivacious dog have such limited activity because of his breathing and coughing.
    Thanks in advance.
    Would think a good referral hospital in your area or state would have a qualified boarded surgeon with experience. Vet schools have good folks on staff but there are pros and cons with having a procedure performed at a veterinary school that have to be weighed.

I recommend Dr. Kieri Jermyn at the soft tissue service at NC State Vet school. We interviewed two surgeons at the Vet school and based on those interviews, and the input of a friend who is a graduate of the vet school we chose Dr. Jermyn to perform the surgery on our 12 y.o. Diesel. His surgery was a complete success and allowed him to have a good quality of life for several years before succumbing due to other illnesses.

I think it is important to find a surgeon who sees LP cases all of the time and has performed the corrective surgery many, many times.

Such is the case with Dr. Jermyn. Here is a link to her contact info

With warm weather on the way, it becomes more likely that a breathing crisis will occur. Now is the time to get a consultation IMO.
    Last edited by jeff t.; 04-01-2013 at 06:38 AM.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Quote Originally Posted by JBWDVM13 View Post
    there are pros and cons with having a procedure performed at a veterinary school that have to be weighed.
    Could you be specific and does this apply to all veterinary schools or just the one you attend?

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Could you be specific and does this apply to all veterinary schools or just the one you attend?
    Hey Doc, nice to hear from you. The biggest con I've been informed about in terms of any surgical procedure at a teaching facility is the time spent performing the procedure. For instance, at DVSC up there a TPLO procedure (not prep time but actual initial cut to closure) is substantially less in duration than at a teaching facility. While there are exceptional surgeons on staff at a teaching facility as well as excellent up and coming residents, time is still much longer in duration. This leads to elevated risks, such as exposure to potential secondary infection as well as prolonged time under anesthesia. I love my school, I've given them a chunk of change here as of late with my new dog as well as the c-section I just paid for on my old dog, but when I get out in the real world these factors are something I'll be having to weigh in cases of referral. I think there are more personalized pros and cons for each establishment but there are several factors such as those just mentioned that apply across the board. Professionals in the setting of teaching hospitals and referral hospitals alike usually have the animals best interest as a top priority. Still though, in certain situations (teaching is a prime example), there may be extra risk involved. Just my take, I'm not yet a professional.

Good information Blake, thanks!

To you have had the surgery what was recovery like any complications? Was he in alot of pain, how long did recovery take? & does your dog have to eat soft foods forever? How old was your dog? My dog is bad to the point my vet will only see him at 7:45 am for a visit must be in and out before the heat. He is not allowed out in the day and has a sedative I can give him if he gets to excited and has trouble breathing. He is 12 1/2 . His heart is slightly enlarged and has some lung issues. He was diagnosed to years ago wth a soft tissue cancer so I have to weigh everything before surgery but if left alone he will die I dont think he will make it through the summer when we reach 120 and very high humidity even in the house. So I have to make a decision. I have talked with a surgeon no one in my town can do it so its Phoenix or San Diego which will be a 3 hour trip one way. (Thanks)
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )