The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearing Protection - what are you guys using?

Default Hearing Protection - what are you guys using?

I'm looking at an upcoming hunt with several guns in the blind.

What are you guys using these days for hearing protection? What are your thoughts? I'm just wondering what's working for folks. I've procrastinated on buying some nice hearing protection for a long time.

Thanks! Chris

I always use the rubber ones that let you hear until there is a loud noise then they shut off the noise. They work ok and are better than nothing by far, however I have been thinking about getting some Pro Ear muffs.

After ringing my own bell last year shooting a doe with a rifle, then having a hearing test the following week at work, only to have the guy tell me I had better start wearing something NOW!, I bought a pair of the Howard Leight Electroninc muffs. Wore them all last year duck hunting and this year as well. Very pleased with them. It takes a little getting used to the electronic amplification, as it amplifies road noise and everything else, BUT it is really nice to not get your bell rung by your partners. Even the most careful people, will sooner or later get in a situation that will do some damage.

I wear them to shoot primer pistols throwing marks for my pup now too.

Only regret is I didn't start using them sooner!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/produ...FUid4AodWmMAwg
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

I wear the foam plugs you you roll into a "pointy end" they give about a 23dB noise reduction. Since I wear a hat, you know the kind with a brim all the way around, Muffs are not an alternative for me. I had some custom made silicone/rubber ones at one time, but I found them to not reduce the noise level as much as the El Cheapos. I wear them anytime I am engaged in a noisy activity.

I wear some custom made ear plugs from my skeet shooting days,but they make it difficult to hear someone on a two way radio...might try the Howard Leight's...even being behind the line when someone is blowing a Green Monster hurts..having in ear plugs like the E.A.R or similar are not comfortable when being worn all day
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Sorry didn't hear the question- could you repeat?

Too late smart regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Just wondered if there is any hearing protection for the dogs. I have heard of some dogs losing their hearing from the guns.

"WHAT!"
    After years of tractors and vacuums let alone shotguns, I'm sure I've lost my bartenders ears.
    I did purchase some pink Remington muffs for effect.
    Cindy Von Sutphen

Dai Suki Desu MH
    Reed Lanes Ladies Love a Rockstar CGC
    LPK's If I Can Call You Betty (da behbeh gurl)

I bought a set of custom molded ones and it was a very worthwhile investment. Check out this link for ESP.
    http://www.espamerica.com/p-26-esp-s...ear-plugs.aspx
    I linked to the most economical which are still custom. Custom means you need to go to the ear doctor but it is well worth the hearing check as well. If want something a little better, get the analog ones that amplify. Dont waste your money on the digital as most of what I read say they go beyond what your ear can hear, especially if your ears are even slightly damaged. Good Luck and happy hearing!

Also, friends of mine that did not get custom fit ran into comfort issues. I have worn mine all day without any problems and you forget they are in after about a minute. something to think about.