The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearing Protection - what are you guys using?

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverNation View Post
    I bought a set of custom molded ones and it was a very worthwhile investment. Check out this link for ESP.
    http://www.espamerica.com/p-26-esp-s...ear-plugs.aspx
    I linked to the most economical which are still custom. Custom means you need to go to the ear doctor but it is well worth the hearing check as well. If want something a little better, get the analog ones that amplify. Dont waste your money on the digital as most of what I read say they go beyond what your ear can hear, especially if your ears are even slightly damaged. Good Luck and happy hearing!
    I am on my second set of analog ESPs. My original pair was so old that they couldn't be reconditioned. I don't understand how people think nothing of spending $1200 on a new shotgun but balk at spending $800 on something that will save their hearing. You can wear these all day and completely forget that they are there.

Buck

Quote Originally Posted by vanbrigg View Post
    Just wondered if there is any hearing protection for the dogs. I have heard of some dogs losing their hearing from the guns.
    Someone already mentioned the mutt muffs. I don't know how they'd do in a blind either, but a buddy of mine pilots small planes all the time and says his dog loves 'em and gets all excited when he pulls them out cuz he knows he's going on a trip!

Quote Originally Posted by David McLendon View Post
    Too late for me as I have tinnitis and believe me you don't want it. Too many years of big guns, close jets and sirens. With tinnitis you are never alone, I sleep with a white noise generator so that I don't have to listen to my ears ring. Take precautions.
    Yes I feel your pain.When I was young it was very uncool to wear ear protection people would have laughed at you. That combined with very loud Rock music .I have to sleep with a fan on in the summer and a humidifier in the winter. Wish I had it to do over again. If its to late for you make sure your kids and grandkids are taught the importance of ear protection

Quote Originally Posted by David McLendon View Post
    Too late for me as I have tinnitis and believe me you don't want it. Too many years of big guns, close jets and sirens. With tinnitis you are never alone, I sleep with a white noise generator so that I don't have to listen to my ears ring. Take precautions.
    I had my first experience with tinnitus in my left ear about two weeks ago...what a freaking pain. I have a hard time failing asleep and the buzzing sound drive me nuts!! I'll be wearing protection from now on. I really like the idea of the ESP ones, hate muffs...will definately be looking at getting better protection vs. the foam plugs I'm using right now.

BTW the buzzing went away after a week, but it was a good enough scare for me to wise up and stop with the no ear protection crap!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I have a set of Peltor ear muffs (electronic) they are good but I still hit them with my gun sometimes so I bought a pair of Radians rubber ear plugs they are working fine.

I have a pair of walkers game ear "itc" I love them but I don't think they make them anymore
    Settyconstruction.com

My sister is a Doctor of Audiology, and her recommendation is always the $50 molded ones, custom made for you. And they come in 24 fun colors (do not get camo - you'll never find them if you drop them!)
    What you get out of it is what you put into it, then a fat lady sings.
    Marc Broussard

Quote Originally Posted by msdaisey View Post
    My sister is a Doctor of Audiology, and her recommendation is always the $50 molded ones, custom made for you. And they come in 24 fun colors (do not get camo - you'll never find them if you drop them!)
    I had these made locally as well and I think they work well. I use them duck hunting and picked purple. There is a lot of purple color in the marsh if you look hard enough. They can be made so you can hear your duck hunting buddy but still get very good protection. They squirt plastic into your ear canal to mold them, therefore the perfect fit.

Banded type. Howard Leight Quiet Band Hearing Protector Ear Plugs

http://www.opticsplanet.com/howard-l...130121025755:s

What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

I love my electonic ones (look like ear muffs)... they have them at Home Depot (Ryobi?) and they work great! Amplify some sounds a bit unless they are of a certain frequency- like a gun shot. That way, you can hear people talking etc between shots fired. We were required to bring them at my 4-day defensive handgun course, and I haven't ever looked back. You do, however, have to make sure you get a pair that has adequate protection and one that fits your head. Thankfully, I have a small head, but those people with larger heads sometimes complain about certain brands causing headaches because they squeeze when not properly fitting.
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."