The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearing Protection - what are you guys using?

Whatever WallyWorld sells that accessorizes well with Roll Tide! (Crimson and White) -

- gotta patronize them, you know, because that's where the Crystal Football goes on display the mostest.

MG

Another vote for the custom moulded ESPs.

They are very efficient, comfortable over a long day, and let you wear any headgear you care to, nor do they clonk against the gun stock as my electronic muff type thingies did.

Wouldn't use anything else now.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

I was way late when I started using hearing protection. PLEASE do yourself a favor and use something.

I have tried several and hate every one of them. I settled on keeping good earplugs in the blind bag along with a set of electronic muffs.

My complaint with every electronic unit is with my calling. Half the time the unit will activate when I blow a duck call. That throws me off.

I used the $800 Walkers. They don't like swimming. So now I keep a more economical version that works 90% as good as the high dollar units.

Chris is I had the disposable for such an item I would have esp's. Have shot many different sports over the years and never heard anything except awesome reviews from users.

I have a fairly bad flinch that's caused by my hearing so I wear foam ear plugs under Peltor muffs. The amplification of the muffs helps with hearing and the plug/clipping function together blocks the impact of the shot.
    Darrin Greene

Been using the electronic in the ear type and love them. I also carry some rubber back ups just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    Another vote for the custom moulded ESPs.

They are very efficient, comfortable over a long day, and let you wear any headgear you care to, nor do they clonk against the gun stock as my electronic muff type thingies did.

Wouldn't use anything else now.
    Anything else is better than nothing at all in preserving one's hearing - and Eug, you and perhaps Mr Atkinson might be amused that my new British expat training partner informed me a few minutes ago that he had just purchased a fine set of "ear defenders" in time for our next session.

MG

I am an audiologist and I have to say, this thread it great! Every day I see people who are devastated because they can't hear a grandchild, or friend or have tinnitus so acute that they are unable to sleep. Noise is one of the greatest causes of hearing loss and impact noise, such as a gunshot, is the worst. Most any real earplug/muff is good. Check the NRR. If you don't see this you are probably not dealing with good plugs. Most importantly, HAVE YOUR HEARING TESTED AFTER SEASON! If you have done damage you need to know that and stop it before it progresses. By the way, it is never too late. If you have any hearing, you can always damage it further. It doesn't matter if you have a loss and tinnitus, protect what you have left! Noise induced hearing loss is progressive (if you don't start protecting yourself) and permanent. I have hunted all my life, am in my 60's and have NO Heairng Loss. Oz
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!

My audiologist wouldn't make the molds for my first set of ESPs until she did a hearing test. I have lost almost all of my hearing in the upper ranges. My Dad was completely deaf from shooting in his later years. Definitely nothing to look forward to!

Buck

Ha....

Lost hearing in 1 ear many moons ago in a Duck Blind......
    Wear something if you value your hearing.
    PINE RUN'S BIG GUN*** U.D.,W.C.X.
    OTCH SHANNON SHAMROCK WCX
    SHANNONS FLYING REDHEAD CDX, WCX
    MAGICS MARKING RED RICO CDX, WCX

Living with tinnitus will drive you crazy.

Was a short trip for me...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"