The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Hearing Protection - what are you guys using?

It toook almost 60 years to wise up but I finally bought a pair of these :http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...c-headset.html
    and love them. Makes it easy to BS with the guys in the bird pit and still gets the muzzle blast down to managable.

Somebody get the phone regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

I know first hand about hearing safety, yet I choose to ignore it.... I have been researching for a couple of years on which one works best, but cant find a good balance between cost and functionality. Good info on here though.

I was planning on buying digital ITE plugs from ESP, but went to my Audiologist for molds and she said that while the ESP's were decent plugs, the price was extremely high for what you get. She called the company and got all their specs to compare. She then ordered a set of Magnum Ear ITE digital plugs for me. I just used them this weekend for the first time and they are fantastic, I love them. They have 4 preset programs 1) normal 2) high wind 3) Cell phone mode (no squealing) and 4) Mute. Price was $1000 including the two office visits and molds, and come with a full 1 year no questions asked warranty, vs. the ESP at $2,000 which had no programs and no warranty. I was surprised in all the online research I did I heard very little about the Magnum Ear (by Sharkey), but that's because they do no market at all to the public, only audiologists. After 5 years of hunting with e-muffs these things are a huge improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    I'm looking at an upcoming hunt with several guns in the blind.

What are you guys using these days for hearing protection? What are your thoughts? I'm just wondering what's working for folks. I've procrastinated on buying some nice hearing protection for a long time.

Thanks! Chris
    For blind or pit hunting as well as the range, I am absolutley in love with my Howard Leight electronic ears muffs, Impact Sport.

Can carry on a normal conversation w/o raising your voice. If the batteries fail, still have a NRR of 22.

If I could afford them, I would have custom electronics made.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I was planning on buying digital ITE plugs from ESP, but went to my Audiologist for molds and she said that while the ESP's were decent plugs, the price was extremely high for what you get. She called the company and got all their specs to compare. She then ordered a set of Magnum Ear ITE digital plugs for me. I just used them this weekend for the first time and they are fantastic, I love them. They have 4 preset programs 1) normal 2) high wind 3) Cell phone mode (no squealing) and 4) Mute. Price was $1000 including the two office visits and molds, and come with a full 1 year no questions asked warranty, vs. the ESP at $2,000 which had no programs and no warranty. I was surprised in all the online research I did I heard very little about the Magnum Ear (by Sharkey), but that's because they do no market at all to the public, only audiologists. After 5 years of hunting with e-muffs these things are a huge improvement.
    You sure isn't Starky ? They are a huge player in hearing aids in the TwinCities. Every year they host a big gala with notables with hearing loss.. Arnold Palmer is always in attendance as well as several rockers. " Ozzie Osborn was hear a few years back.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    You sure isn't Starky ? They are a huge player in hearing aids in the TwinCities. Every year they host a big gala with notables with hearing loss.. Arnold Palmer is always in attendance as well as several rockers. " Ozzie Osborn was hear a few years back.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Yes "Starkey", just a typo, sorry about that! I hunted with my new plugs again this weekend - simply awesome!

I bought some pro ears gold and never looked back. Ever hear the action on a SBE2? I can hear mine every time. Pro ears bring all noise levels down instead of just shutting off. You can carry on a conversation with loud equipment right next to you.
    Gavin B.

What's hearing protection?

When I got my pilots license back in the 70s we used the little microphone and small speaker in the ceiling of the cockpit, no hearing protection. I think it was the mid eighties when we started to use David Clark headsets, now I can't believe we used nothing back in the day when I take my headset off during a flight, the sound is just deafening. Same with shooting guns, my first ear protection when I was sighting in my uncles .270 Weatherby Magnum, ( I was a 90 pound 15 year old), were the little filters broken off his cigarettes and stuck in my ears.

I used to be real involved in Cowboy Action Shooting. At one of the large meets there was a supplier that made form fitting ear plugs for $40. They actually put stuff in your ear that made a mould of your ear.

As a side note, you have never heard loud until you have experienced 10 black powder pistol rapid shots inside a confined structure. Those had me pressing my ear plugs in tighter. I tried to be outside whenever the black powder boys shot.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Wayne, the el cheapo foam ear plugs will do just fine.