The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: urinary tract infection in 8 week old female

I used to have issues w/ UTIs -- but normally at ~14-15 wks when they were cutting teeth. Go to Walmart or costco (I think they are on a no-coupon special right now at Costco!) and get the cranberry supp. I have a pup here for another 10 days or so and think I'll pick up some for her, just as a precaution. The girls squat VERY close to the ground, and that little bead of urine on the vulva can often act as a wick to suck bacteria back up into the bladder. The cranberry will not only help keep the bladder environment acidic (like ascorbic acid/Vit C supps) but also apparently has some factor in preventing the binding of bacteria to the bladder wall. I think the push to crate train puppies early has lead to some of the issues now. A puppy only has the capacity to hold their bladders ~ 1 hr for every month old they are. So an 8 wk old can really only hold it ~2hrs. I keep mine in a pen w/ a potty pellet pool thru ~3 mos for that reason as I don't like getting up in the middle of the night!

I had a female pup in my last litter that developed a UTI at 7 weeks. It took 2 different antibiotics as the first one wasn't right. You might ask your vet about culturing the urine to find out what antibiotic will work best. Cranberry and Vitamin C are very good ideas and I would keep the pup on that for a while after the course of antibiotics are done. Don't let it go on too long as it can progress to the kidneys and that's not good.

Our 10 week old BLF is just finishing her round of antibiotics today for UTI. This is our first dog to have this condition. I appreciate the ideas on cranberry supplements. Does anyone have a dosage or recommended amount for use on pups based on body weight and, or age? How young would you start and at what amounts? Lastly, same question for vitamin C as we have not tried that before with any of our dogs. Thanks.

I think it says something on the cranberry supplement bottle about dosage. We gave our 11 week old pup one a day for many months and the same thing with the Vitamin C - one chewable once a day.

I think when I was able to get the chewable cranberry supp, I'd break it in half but once I got the (fairly small) cran cap at Walmart, I just gave the whole thing. If doing the cran, you probably don't need the added Vit C (most have it in it already that I've seen). I'm giving the pup here ~1/4 of a Kirkland Vit C currently, so ~250mg as an acidifier.