RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Hunting too soon?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  InertiaDriven71 
#1 ·
I have a 8.5-month old YLF that is wrapping up walking fetch, but has not yet started doubles or pile work. However, she does successfully retrieve a freshly killed duck thrown 20 yards away-- steady at heel to a shotgun.

I decided to take her hunting last weekend with my 4-year old BLF thinking she would put 2 and 2 together. While she remained on the stand and went when I sent her on 4-5 easy marks, each time she stopped at the water's edge and turned around and looked at me. I did not apply any pressure, just called her back to heel and tried to send her again. After 4-5 separate ducks (easy marks within 25 yards), I gave up and let her watch her big sister the rest of the hunt.

Questions-- I assume I did not mess her up any (long-term)? I also assume that pile work and completing training will fix that issue?

My BLF was pretty much finished with basic training by the time she went on her first hunt at 13 months old, so I have little experience taking a younger dog hunting.

thanks in advance

#4 ·
It's been a very long time since I hunted a dog that wasn't through Basics; at least through T work, but preferably also through water force & swim-by. To do less is a needless gamble.

Evan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.