The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Sun Screen

Default Sun Screen

What are you guys using?
    I just came from dermatologist. He asked what I did all that time outdoors.
    I replied I mess with dogs. They didn't make sunscreen years ago.
    Just thought I'd pass it on. One biopsy too late....
    Ray K

SHR Princess Lillian Vl
    SHR Deke of Sunnyburke SH
    HRCH UH Ray's Cotton Pickin' Jake MH, 500 Pt Club, 02-11
    SHR Callie May JH, 98-09
    SR Gus "The Wonder Dog" JH, 91-01

Nutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 55....along with a wide brim hat,and long sleeves...I like the Columbia fishing shirts, they are lightweight and the sleeves roll up and button....disclaimer : I am not pigment challenged but my sun worshipping days ended on the beaches of Newport/Huntington decades ago...I also wear polarized sunglasses
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Even though I use the sunscreen and wear the wide brimmed hat now, I don't think I can undo 5 years of tropical sun with no protection. Just trust in my genes, and prevent any more I guess. Ray, I wish you the best, sounds like you have a hard road ahead.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

They say the damage we see in our 40s and 50s occurred when we were little kids...I have had lots of pre-cancerous lesions burned off of my face over the last 10 years, long after I started wearing a broad-brimmed hat, tons of sunscreen, long sleeves.

My doc says you should wear sun screen on your face every day of the year. I have to confess I am not THAT diligent.

Meredith

BullFrog Mosquito Coast SPF 30 Sunblock with Insect Repellent.

Conservation of effort regards

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

One thing I have discovered. I scuba dive a lot and I'm in and out of the water and riding in boats with salt water spray. I always used Coppertone sport until I discovered Bullfrog. Bullfrog stays on much longer in those conditions. I don't know why. We had a very unplanned and unscientific study in Hawaii. I group of us went on a motorized raft tour. We were gone for 7 hours. Half the boat used a bottle of coppertone and 3 of us used my Bullfrog. We went snorkeling then took off and nobody had time to reapply. The raft ride was brutal in 4 foot seas and we were covered with salt spray. The entire group that used coppertone was burned pretty bad. The 3 of us had no sun burn..

So longer answer I trust bullfrog.

Sun damage? Usually what is done is done. However for future protection a good hat and sunglassess are always a plus. However I have worked with dogs that dont like it when I train with sun glassess on. (strange I know) There are alot of good products out there for sun screen. Myself I like the sport style sprays. (no rubbing). If your are in the field and need to apply or re-apply and have dirty hands (i.e. dirt, dog or duck on your hands) that makes it no fun to rub on the sunscreen. Good Luck.

Helioplex is more stable than PABA, neither lasts aall day and need to be reapplied. I use the same stuff as Bon except maybe SPF 70.

Water babies SPF 50 everyday from April to sept