The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: 3 Crates for Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Box

Default 3 Crates for Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Box

I will be adding a 3rd dog to the pack in about 6 weeks and am looking for suggestions on getting 3rd crate into my truck. I have a 2011 Silverado crew cab with the short box, I have a drawer system with a platform over the wheel wells giving me the greatest amount of flat space in the bed and a topper. The topper's drivers side windo flips up so I can access from the side. Any recommendations on crates that fit well in this configuration or suggestions on how to configure crates is appreciated. I have two Pet Porter (Large I believe) crates currently.

Thanks,
    Dve

Well, the bed length is 65 inches, so you would need to look for crates that are no wider than 20 inches.

They are out there, but will be wire crates

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

One sideways at the front facing drivers side and two facing the tailgate. It worked for me with large crates.
    Mike Peters

Mike, how will dog in back get to tailgate? Bed is only 5 foot wide. Would two large crates side by side block the entire back?

I had a platform and the two crates were pushed against the passenger side and we had about 10-12 inches of wiggle room past them on the driver side to get to the kennel along the front of the box. My platform went from side to side not just between the wheel wells.
    Mike Peters

2 large crates should only be 48-52 inches wide. The space between the wheel wells is 48inches. That leaves some space to get by.
    Mike Peters

I have run 3 crates the long way, and put a 4th. crate in the back seat with the seat folded down to make a bench. If you do the 3 crates the long way pushed to one side or the other just make sure all your doors swing open towards the cab. I have an extended cab Ford..

get a trailer JK

but really when you have the boxes above the wheel wells it does allow for 2 crates to be side by side the wheel wells is what screwed it up for me, and when I saw the price of drawer systems I just bought a trailer - I get the entire bed of the truck and I dont have to worry about loading or unloading crates.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Thanks for suggestions. For the time being I will have a puppy crate that will allow for all to be against passenger side and open toward the driver side through the cargo door. Any suggestion on three dog slide ins that may fit in this same configuration? I was looking at the Northern Plastics set up, any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Dave

There is a nice slide in 3 hole with top storage for sale on Gun Dog Forum. Looks like it is for a pickup.
    Kevin