The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1968 Training book by James Lamb Free - anyone seen it?

It is the book I cut my teeth on in the mid 70's. Read this book and made sure I bought a quality pup for my first one.. thank goodness....

Default Love That Book

Quote Originally Posted by runnindawgz View Post
    I just scooped up a copy of this book on Ebay ... The index looks interesting ... about how to read a pedigree, the “names to look for” in a dogs pedigree - the Nat’ and Nat’l Am. information and a CHAPTER titled If the LADIES CAN “Do It ” ha ha .... looking forward to the book arriving!

Has anyone ever seen this book? $4.00 wasted or worth it?
    You will love it. It's entertaining, and also teaches techniques that WORK!!

Enjoy.

Ditto to all that was said above
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Outdated but interesting & without question the best available during its time. It was considered the training bible at the time because there was virtually nothing else available in terms of written material. I had that book & Charles Morgan on Retrievers when I started, then "progressed" or added Richard Wolters books & then to Tarrants books. I thought Quinn had a good book, The Working Retrievers, more modern in approach but still pre-ecollar. I found John Dahl's book, Ten Minute Retriever to be an excellent book especially to give the amateur trainer a broad summary scope of the tasks involved in a relatively short volume. John & Amy are still training gun dogs in NC. But nothing compares to the modern & detailed training materials available today from Lardy & Graham. They detail systems of training from 8 wks to AA competitors and everything inbetween. Hillman & others have focused materials on certain aspects of training but none more comprehensive & tested among a large group of trainers than Lardy & Graham materials.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    I enjoyed Free's book. I have not read my copy in years and don't recall which edition I have.

After probably 15 years or so, I have 3 takeaways that have stuck with me. Keep in mind, these things have a way of "warping" over time versus the way it is literally written.

Takeaway #1:
    • Back in those days, Free and his peers did not believe in doing much training during the puppy days. If I recall correctly, Free seemed to be on the extreme edge of this - waiting 'til the dog was a year of so old before doing any real training.

#2:
    • Free advised against letting kids and others play with your Field dog. He felt that the dog should be kept under lock and key in a kennel run during the day and only handled by you, the trainer. I do get what his angle was, in terms of making the training sessions the highlight of the dog's day and getting full value of the training sessions. But again, I recall the idea that Free was a bit on the extreme end of the application of this.

#3:
    • Free was the source of the term "stir your stumps". Stir your stumps is the equivlanent of what I sometimes think of as "indirect pressure with poor timing". The idea is that if the dog is blowing the trainer off on a sit whistle, a cast, or some other expected response, the handler is to "stir" or run his legs off getting out there to address the dog at close range.
    • I don't recall whether it is Free, or not, that mentions e-collars and that they're not good. Some writers of that era certainly wrote this sort of thing. If it is indeed Free, and again, I don't recall, you will have to just remember that at that time, whatever was on the market is a far cry from today's equipment, and the thousands of dogs that the retriever training community used as guinea-pigs to create some established e-collar "best practice" (which is now available) was not yet around.

I would like to pull out my old copy and re-read it.
    It was all we had in the early 60's + Pfaffenberger's book on canine behavior - the rest we just winged - I have probably every
    edition somewhere as we sold them when we owned the kennel - When Water Dog was published it was the book I recommended
    to novices with some takeaways -

A lot of the basics still apply - dogs placing in AA stakes in those days were not hamburger dogs - the judges, for the most part,
    did a significant part of their dogs training & could set up tests that did not require a 1/4 section of real estate to be successful -
    having seen on one post the reference to MH's doing those tests, I don't think so. Oily Adams could set short tests that would
    clean up the field in short order - Given the right grounds Lanse, Pete Goodale, Jack Vollstedt can still do that - they may look like
    MH tests but only in length are they -

If I'm not mistaken - Free used a trainer almost exclusively, so would fit right in with the use of pro's being so common in today's
    training environment .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

James Lamb Free's dog Freehaven Muscles appeared in some of the pics in the book. He is related way back to a number of dogs.

http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=574
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

JLF's book is still a great read, and props to the previous poster that mentioned Tom Quinn's book. If you took JLF's principles you could still train a sound retriever. I totally agree with Chris though on the socializing aspect. Back in those days a dog was just that, we've come so much further. In my first edition of Free's book some of the training tools listed were slingshots, bb guns and 12ga #8's. I had a later edition where he talked about ecollarars , and I believe that it had to do with Rex Carr. Still a good read.