RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Swim by -search

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  pmw 
#1 ·
Have done a search on this subject and am sure I have seen the answer somewhere but can't find it! The only water I currently have available (due to the dams drying up in our extreme summer) is a medium sized oval one with only 3 clearly defined edges (and they will probably turn into mud also if we don't get some rain). Am trying to figure out how to do this without giving the young dogs excessive swimming or running through mud. We started off on a smaller dam which was working really well but that has now dried up. Have never had the perfect one like Evan uses and posting a picture is beyond me! Any ideas greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I'm not sure I understand the question. But here goes anyway. Retrievers ONLINE website has a free downloadable article on swimby. In the article he has two diagrams. One for a normal pond and the other for using one end of a pond (three definable sides). He also describes how to use the one end of a pond.

Hope this was the question.
Now back to football.

#4 · (Edited)
Post the town you're in and I can try to find ponds if you want.
Otherwise find a fish hatchery or trout farm near you. They usually are open to dog training and ponds are often good size and shape for Swim By and Re-Entries.
Here is a Trout Farm in Melbourne. Ponds a bit small but the two ponds on the north side may work.

Here's one in New South Wales

#5 ·
Wow Breck - that is great but about two hours away from me - has given me an idea of a place which is a bit closer. However, don't think they allow dogs on the premises at all as people go there and fish but will ask. My understannding of doing something like swim by is that once started best to keep at it until done - once a week probbly not enough.

#6 ·
If you have my DVD there are 3 ponds shown; one is an ideal swim-by pond, but the other two are just farm ponds. Adaptation for use is also described. Are you going purely from the book, or do you have the DVD?

Evan

#7 ·
Evan - I am currently going on what has been written by you and others and your DVD. My current adult dogs (both titled) were trained with my modified version in the dam that is now dry. Was about to take another look at your DVD. Thanks.

#9 ·
Great! Let me know if anything is unclear.

Evan

#10 ·
Pat's video was neat. There is always someone who can come up with a work around. If we don't get more rain for my swimby ponds I may have to do something similar. But I'm not there yet and need to wait for warmer weather. Maybe we'll get some heavy spring rains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.