The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: bird dryer idea, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I broke the heck out of one a few years back at our field trial. It was all full of ducks and I was told to move everything to the next spot. So I grabbed in the middle and lifted it full and put it in the back of my truck with a hundred other things.
    So you're saying you didn't "try to break" it.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I was looking at making one, but I think a person be money ahead to get a good metal one like you see in dogs afield.

I haven't read all of the posts so perhaps someone has already mentioned this type.

My husband copied these from some we had seen at Buckeye RC in Hambden, OH. They've used theirs for years. Since our club has events at different places, he used a slightly lighter weatherproof wood. They fold up and can be easily stored in our trailers and moved as needed (I can carry one myself). The ducks stay nicely in the neck holders and are far enough apart that air can circulate around them, thus drying them more readily. We used them at our field trial a few weeks ago and were able to put them in our trailer over night to dry and keep away from the "critters" rather than bagging them. After suggestions from club members, he added hooks for garbage bags (for mangled ducks) as well as hooks on the bottom to secure camo mesh in case the flies were bad. I think it cost him about $26 apiece not counting his labor. If anyone is interested in the measurements, etc. then PM me and I will find out from him. You could certainly make a smaller version.
    DSC_0598.jpg
    537186_10151345025439655_1975800791_n.jpg
    Randall

HRCH Truline's Cleopatra MH (Cleo)

Prime Time Rising Star MH ***(Emmy)
    Wyco's Lena-Linda con Besos SH (Lena)
    HRCH Surry's Smoking Gun SH (Sage) RIP

Licking Run's Blackberry Jam MH (Berry) RIP

I forgot to say that the ducks hang on both sides, 12 per row for a total of 48 ducks.
    Randall

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    The one Shawn linked to is out of stock, and I don't need anything that big. They have a smaller, 4-legged model, though:

Here's a pic and link to the one Shawn pointed out:

Not sure I like having to assemble it, I will lose pieces! But like the no-pinchy finger problem. Are these Butch Green?
    Mine is like the larger one with two T shaped legs but it has only 4 duck bars like the smaller one. I got it from Lion Country.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

RJG, would you please post the depth and width of the slots and also what the slot spacing was?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by RJG View Post
    I haven't read all of the posts so perhaps someone has already mentioned this type.

My husband copied these from some we had seen at Buckeye RC in Hambden, OH. They've used theirs for years. Since our club has events at different places, he used a slightly lighter weatherproof wood. They fold up and can be easily stored in our trailers and moved as needed (I can carry one myself). The ducks stay nicely in the neck holders and are far enough apart that air can circulate around them, thus drying them more readily. We used them at our field trial a few weeks ago and were able to put them in our trailer over night to dry and keep away from the "critters" rather than bagging them. After suggestions from club members, he added hooks for garbage bags (for mangled ducks) as well as hooks on the bottom to secure camo mesh in case the flies were bad. I think it cost him about $26 apiece not counting his labor. If anyone is interested in the measurements, etc. then PM me and I will find out from him. You could certainly make a smaller version.
    DSC_0598.jpg
    537186_10151345025439655_1975800791_n.jpg
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

DIY2011 008.jpgDIY2011 009.jpg

I made this one from a metal saw horse. Light weight, compact, no parts to lose, holds 30 birds.
    Cindy Von Sutphen

Dai Suki Desu MH
    Reed Lanes Ladies Love a Rockstar CGC
    LPK's If I Can Call You Betty (da behbeh gurl)

Hi Howard,
    The outer horizontal boards are 60 inches wide, the inner horizontal boards are 58 1/2 inches wide.
    Each leg is 5 feet by 3 5/8 inches by 3/4 inch.
    The u shaped holding slot is a 1 inch circle at the bottom, the vertical sides of the 'U' are also 1 inch wide. The total depth from the top of the board to the bottom of the holding circle is 2 inches.
    It is about 4 1/4 inches between slots.

From the ground to the bottom of the first horizontal rack is 27 1/2 inches.
    From the ground to the bottom of the upper horizontal rack is 49 inches.
    The legs are joined 1 7/8 inches from the top of the board by a single 3/8 inch galvanized bolt which allows the legs to fold flat together.

A 21 1/2 inch rope or cable on each side at the level of the lower horizontal rack stabilizes the legs and keeps them from over extending.

The ones John built hold 48 birds.
    Randall

The u shaped holding slot is a 1 inch circle at the bottom, the vertical sides of the 'U' are also 1 inch wide. The total depth from the top of the board to the bottom of the holding circle is 2 inches.
    It is about 4 1/4 inches between slots.
    Thanks a lot. I like what he's done. I'm going to make one this next week.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post

That one will still pinch your fingers, but IME, if you do, it will hurt less than the aluminum posted earlier. It isn't as sharp in places. It takes up very little space in your dog truck. Perfect for one person but mine also gets 'volunteered' for training groups and events as well.