The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: urinary tract infection in 8 week old female

Default urinary tract infection in 8 week old female

Found out this morning my new puppy has a uti. Anyone else have this before? In such a young puppy?

Yes, a few years ago my one female had a uti that young. Put her on some antibiotics and she was good to go in a few weeks. Give pup more water to help flush out, but then you have to do more frequent potty break. I also remember getting cranberry pills online somewhere....that helpsot balance the pH in the urinary tract. Stress of a new home can bring these on, along with a change in diet if you switched food.
    Deb Mengel
    www.dsretrievers.com

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." ~ Henry Wheeler Shaw

"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." ~ Louis Sabin

Get some cran caps from Target or wherever and start the pup on them. Keep her on them for a while--even until first heat if you can.

Meredith

I was having a hell of a time potty training my CLF as a pup, took her to the vet thinking she had a UTI and was told that she had an inverted Vulva basically caused a small crease in the urinary tract causing an irritation, battled her frequent needing to go out until after she went into her first Heat Cycle.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Our puppy got a UTI at 11-12 weeks after coming to us on the Flight From Hell (Thanks to United Airlines - The Worst). Anyway, puppy was sitting in own urine for several hours and developed UTI. My vet put her on antibiotics and we re-tested her as pills were running out and kept her on a different antibiotic for another 3 weeks. I did give her cranberry pills and Vitamin C. Since she is now 11 mos. old and at the trainer, I still have him giving her Vitamin C for good measure, but she is fine. It is important to get the original infection completely cleared up.

Same happened to me, at about 8 weeks too - literally within days of bringing her home. Breeder and vet said it was a bit rare but not impossible for such a young pup. Had another (adult lab) that would also get a UTI after boarding - vet said to give her vitamin C pills leading up to and during the boarding stay - not sure about this for a young pup.

Almost my entire last litter had UTI's. Be certain you treat it aggressively and complete the anti-biotics and do a follow up. One pup did not respond to the antibiotic administered (said it was the "wrong" antibiotic by one)and the infection became more serious and spread to the kidneys. A misdiagnosis of a congential defect by a vet and almost $3,000 later an expert on kidney's in California determined they were normal with the exception of the infection. A 2 month round of a fairly inexpensive antibiotic solved the issue.

The right antibiotic is key to clearing it up permanently and quickly. Be sure to question your vet about which antibiotic they are giving and why. Be sure to go do a follow up visit upon completion of the antibiotics to ensure the UTI is 100% clear. Lots of potty breaks, fresh water, cranberry supplements and lastly, wiping their vaginas with baby wipes a few times a day to keep them extra clean is important.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 01-18-2013 at 02:23 PM.

"wiping their vaginas with baby wipes a few times a day to keep them extra clean is important"

Can you explain the logic behind this?
    Jan and Mike Connolly
    www.docsgoldens.com

Thanks for the replies so far. My vet put her on Clavamox antibiotics.Hopefully this will fix it. I do hate giving antibiotics though.

Quote Originally Posted by J Connolly View Post
    "wiping their vaginas with baby wipes a few times a day to keep them extra clean is important"

Can you explain the logic behind this?
    When they get a UTI they have some "stickyness/moisture" around their vaginas which is a good surface to pick up bacteria is what two vets independently told owners. Pups inability to clean themselves at the young age and not having the Dam there to also clean can contribute to UTI is what I was told.