The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *GDG* I am bummed - but it's not so bad *GDG*

Default *GDG* I am bummed - but it's not so bad *GDG*

I have backed way off on posting as much of my own personal retriever situations as I used to. I have a couple key reasons for doing that. I won't detail them.

I have felt badly at times for backing off on that as part of what I felt kept me true to RTF, and true to the resource is being fairly open about who I am and what's going on in my own part of the retriever world.

I will share with you all that today I am officially bummed out! An RTF buddy has referred me to a Stuttgart, AR area hunting lodge for a personal and business hunting outing. For me, part of the fun would be taking my now 6 year old black lab "Bus".

As I was packing up for a Sunday prep, so that I can get on the road early tomorrow to pick a friend up in Memphis on Monday, I realized that my Bus was keeping an eye closed and blinking - a LOT. He had similar symptoms at the beginning of our local duck season in the opposite eye. At that time, the cool orange dye that turns green when it hits a dog's eye proved a scratched cornea.

We got that all healed up but again, today the opposite eye looked strangely similar. I chose to go ahead and call a local vet who offers Sunday on call service. Sure enough, the OTHER eye has a scratched cornea. Vet's advice: No entry of water for 7 days minimum - checkup and re-dye of the eye require first. (no duck hunting)

Since Bus only came equipped with 2 of these things they call "eyes", I will heed the good Doctor's suggestion.

Good news: I have a GMC 1/2 ton pickup that's the cleanest it's been in 2 years (got it all cleaned up prior to the news so I can pick up my buddy in Memphis). Now I get to leave that gas guzzler home and take a much more fuel efficient vehicle down. OK - it is really not good news at all. I'm just trying to make myself feel better.

I just got off the phone a bit ago with my friend Dr. Jim Smith who incurred a true tragedy with a home fire that many of you read about. Jim lost his dogs in that fire. It was a true and terrible tragedy. I have tried to leverage my own personal relationships with some folks to try and help Jim connect with some All Age contender type litters.

My heart aches for Jim and his family. The biggest benefit in this whole thing is that it was "just" the dogs and not his kids or his wife.

I hope that we see Dr. Jim Smith on the retriever trail with a smile on his face, a healthy and happy family, and some young dogs that are wagging and smacking the marks and blinds....

Enjoy all. No matter how tough it feels, perspective helps reveal that it really isn't probably all that bad.

To Dr. Jim Smith. I'm so sorry. I am very confident that in the future you will be back at the line with some dogs that make folks nervous at the Opens and the Ams.

Chris

My heart goes out to Dr smith. It may not have been his human family, but he truly enjoyed his dogs and their loss must have caused him a great deal of grief. Tragedies like this do tend to put things in perspective.

I hope your dog's eye problems are at an end.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Just curious, what would your dog be doing that he would experience two scratched corneas in such a short space of time? I don't think I have ever had a dog have one in 35 years and about that many dogs.

Chris I sent you a PM

Will be in Stugartt Wed thru Sun. maybe I will run into you! Good luck with the eyes

Chris--flooded timber will have to wait. Good decision.

The scenario with Dr Smith is very sad indeed.

Good luck with Bus.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by awclark View Post
    Just curious, what would your dog be doing that he would experience two scratched corneas in such a short space of time? I don't think I have ever had a dog have one in 35 years and about that many dogs.
    I'm asking myself the exact same thing. It is very freaky. We have 4 dogs that all go on the same walks and runs in the same places. We do have a couple vari-kennels with those vertical metal rods. They are right near the door that goes out to the garage where the food bin is. Bus is one of those dogs that pops wheelies and mealtime is no exception. It is possible that he has come down and whacked an eye on the rod on the crate door. We've all agreed to latch those doors at all times.

We have a hedgerow with some scrub brush that we punch through most nights during our runs. It is possible he's done it there. He also got around a corner and was slow to respond to my "here" command recently. There are a few stray cats that our dogs run upon. He may have caught a cat claw...but no bloody nose or face and no other scratches.

I really don't know. IT makes me crazy.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Quackwacker View Post
    Will be in Stugartt Wed thru Sun. maybe I will run into you! Good luck with the eyes
    We hunt Tues and Wed and will head out right after the Wed hunt. I have to get back home to help pick up another dog (not a retriever) of ours who is having TPLO part 2 on Thurdsday morning.

Our cumulative vet bill for Q4 2012 and Q1 2013 is getting comical at this point.

good luck on the hunt!
    john mccallie

CHRIS to bad for bus hope he recovers soon. Good luck with the hunting.