The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deja VU or How Crazies Get Guns

Default Deja VU or How Crazies Get Guns

I worked child welfare/protection in this county when this case came in 18 years. I wasn't assigned to the case, but I was aware of it. Christopher Oberender and his 14 year old buddy hid behind a couch waiting for his mother to come home. Christopher had a 12 ga. shotgun and his buddy a small caliber rifle. Mom had taken away a video game earlier that day. When she came home Christopher and his buddy opened fire and killed her. They then stole the family car and were later apprehended

This was a solid middle class family. Dad was on the school board. Mom was active with Scouting.

Fast forward to 3 days ago when the Carver County Sheriff Office learned to their surprise that Oberender had amassed 13 firearms, including a Thompson sub machine gun and an AK47, despite being a felon and had a history of mental heath issues. Here is the Star -Tribune story how he managed to get that kind of collection:

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/187610601.html
    Last edited by zeus3925; 01-20-2013 at 11:28 PM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

What a great story zeus, but I have a question.

If he "MURDERED" his Mother, as the story claims, why was he not in prison????

Who let him out and why?

There is your problem.

If one were to read this article, they would see that the problem is in the Judicial system, as the article so clearly states.
    Last edited by road kill; 01-20-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Some Shrink probably said he was not a threat to society and since he just a "child" when the "unfortunate incident" happened, they let him out.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    .................................................. ..........................

If one were to read this article, they would see that the problem is in the Judicial system, as the article so clearly states.
    Bingo !

Shrink says that a young man we happen to know does not really want to hurt people that young man just wants attention ( duh ). And I say...... so badly he will do anything to get it. His family has lots of green folding money and "they know people". I fear for the people in his family and friends of theirs.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

There are lots of holes where this guy slipped through. The legal systems, the mental health system, data tracking, mental health follow up and failure to report and share information, and mental health follow up.

I may scare up some flack on this but states are really loath to spend anything on mental health. It is one of the first things to get cut when the economy goes south. A lot of mental illness can be mitigated with the medications that are now available. But it takes follow up to make sure medications are taken.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 01-20-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    Zeus

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    There are lots of holes where this guy slipped through. The legal systems, the mental health system, data tracking, mental health follow up and failure to report and share information, and mental health follow up.

I may scare up some flack on this but states are really loath to spend anything on mental health. It is one of the first things to get cut when the economy goes south. A lot of mental illness can be mitigated with the medications that are now available. But it takes follow up to make sure medications are taken.
    If the guy committed murder he should be in prison, for ever.
    (actually, he should be executed, but the leftys would be agahst)

No meds, no special care, the POS forfeited all of that when he took another life.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    If the guy committed murder he should be in prison, for ever.
    (actually, he should be executed, but the leftys would be agahst)

No meds, no special care, the POS forfeited all of that when he took another life.
    x3!!!!!!!!!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I worked child welfare/protection in this county when this case came in 18 years. I wasn't assigned to the case, but I was aware of it. Christopher Oberender and his 14 year old buddy hid behind a couch waiting for his mother to come home. Christopher had a 12 ga. shotgun and his buddy a small caliber rifle. Mom had taken away a video game earlier that day. When she came home Christopher and his buddy opened fire and killed her. They then stole the family car and were later apprehended

This was a solid middle class family. Dad was on the school board. Mom was active with Scouting.

Fast forward to 3 days ago when the Carver County Sheriff Office learned to their surprise that Oberender had amassed 13 firearms, including a Thompson sub machine gun and an AK47, despite being a felon and had a history of mental heath issues. Here is the Star -Tribune story how he managed to get that kind of collection:

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/187610601.html
    The article said "Tommy gun". Do you know for certain that it was the sub machine gun. Or was it the semi auto version?

"Christopher Oberender and his 14 year old buddy hid behind a couch waiting for his mother to come home. Christopher had a 12 ga. shotgun and his buddy a small caliber rifle. Mom had taken away a video game earlier that day. When she came home Christopher and his buddy opened fire and killed her. They then stole the family car and were later apprehended"

Doesn't that constitute murder one? As others have said, the problem is not that he was able to obtain guns. The problem is that he was still breathing, or at a very minimum locked in a very secure cage forever.

The situation was originally treated as a mentally ill juvenile offender. The whole situation is one big government screw up at several levels. Doesn't matter if the Tommie was semi or fully automatic. He shouldn't have been able to purchase or have firearms...PERIOD. We really dodged a big one with this guy. Hopefully he will be sent up the river for a very long time.
    Zeus

The situation was originally treated as a mentally ill juvenile offender. The whole situation is one big government screw up at several levels. Doesn't matter if the Tommie was semi or fully automatic. He shouldn't have been able to purchase or have firearms...PERIOD. We really dodged a big one with this guy. Hopefully he will be sent up the river for a very long time.
    Convicted murderer buys guns, that is an issue that could be addressed immediately with the support of both parties and the NRA, but instead time and money will be wasted trying to create new laws that will do nothing to address the problem.