The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Puppy question

Default Puppy question

I am currently looking for a puppy. I am mainly interested in a hunting dog and while I would not rule out eventually being interested in hunt tests, it is not a high priority for me. I of course want to get the best dog possible regardless. My question is what price range am I looking at for a quality lab with all the necessary health clearances out of a hunting line? I am not against paying for quality and I realize you get what you pay for. I am mainly asking to get an idea so I know what to look for when I start looking seriously. Anything else I should look for or watch out for? Like I said, I want to get the best dog possible for my needs.

Thanks in advance,

American Ace

Check out the classified ad section....linked below. The prices you see there are pretty much what you should expect to pay for a dog like the one you've described above.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ds-Lab-Puppies

Oh...and a helpful hint you can sort the ads by location by clicking on the word TITLE in the blue bar above the first ad.

this is my observation and worth what it costs you!

hunting dog x hunting dog both dogs with documentation of tested health clearances = $500-$750
    MH x hunting dog bitch that owner just had to have a puppy out of his girl w/ clearances = $500-$800
    HRCH MH X HRCH MH w/clrcs = $600-$900
    FC AFC x HRCH MH w/clrcs = $800-$1300
    FC AFC x MH QAA = $1000-$1500
    FC AFC x FC AFC = $1300-$3500

if you have a good idea of what you are looking for, study a bit and are patient, imho great hunting/ht dogs with great breeding are sold often in the $800 to $1200 range.
    john mccallie

Default Thanks

Thank you Roseberry, that's what I was looking for. Just a ballpark idea of what to expect and look for.

Thanks again,

American Ace

Quote Originally Posted by American Ace View Post
    I am currently looking for a puppy. I am mainly interested in a hunting dog and while I would not rule out eventually being interested in hunt tests, it is not a high priority for me. I of course want to get the best dog possible regardless. My question is what price range am I looking at for a quality lab with all the necessary health clearances out of a hunting line? I am not against paying for quality and I realize you get what you pay for. I am mainly asking to get an idea so I know what to look for when I start looking seriously. Anything else I should look for or watch out for? Like I said, I want to get the best dog possible for my needs.

Thanks in advance,

American Ace
    I may have what you are looking for. Sent you a pm. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    this is my observation and worth what it costs you!

hunting dog x hunting dog both dogs with documentation of tested health clearances = $500-$750
    MH x hunting dog bitch that owner just had to have a puppy out of his girl w/ clearances = $500-$800
    HRCH MH X HRCH MH w/clrcs = $600-$900
    FC AFC x HRCH MH w/clrcs = $800-$1300
    FC AFC x MH QAA = $1000-$1500
    FC AFC x FC AFC = $1300-$3500

if you have a good idea of what you are looking for, study a bit and are patient, imho great hunting/ht dogs with great breeding are sold often in the $800 to $1200 range.
    Maybe in AL but not in the rest of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Maybe in AL but not in the rest of the country.
    canyon,

have i been paying too much for my dogs?

am i not paying enough? if i am not, i was unaware that the common lack of affluence here in al affected the price of dogs. heck, i have seen two coon hounds traded with a new z-71 as boot. it would be easier to purchase "whistler's mother" than a couple of beagle bitches i know. we like our dogs!

one current example, slider is fc afc(national finalist, am and open if memory serves) and junie b jones has six derby points(an indication she will qaa at a minimum). a qualified buyer can purchase a pup from charles in the adds now for $1200.

i did buy one pup from up your way that stretched my posted price ranges. i considered that move emotional and unwise.....time will tell!
    john mccallie

John, your pricing seems good, if not a little low.
    FC AFC x HRCH MH w/clrcs = $800-$1800
    FC AFC x MH QAA = $1200-$2000
    FC AFC x FC AFC = $1500-$3500 and sometimes the skies the limit
    I have paid similarly. The least expensive part of owning a dog.
    To the OP. I have found FT bred dogs to be the best option even for just "hunting " dogs. They give the you the best opportunity for a good, birdy retriever. Most ( the same with other breedings) are great house pets and companions.
    It's how you raise them. Sometimes you do have to harness the energy and almost compulsive behavior on picking things up. That's what they make chew toys for. After a while if you just ignore them they go bother the wife.

Jeff
    Last edited by labsforme; 01-21-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy

No, I don't think so. I'm seeing $600-$900 in ads for dogs of "color" without ANY titles or clearances here (basically byb).

$900-$1200 for pups from show parents, some w/o titles, but at least have clearances (normally... some may only have prelims though which is a sore point w/ me).

Many FC AFC x HRCH MH would be more like $1200-1500 here, esp if there is frozen or chilled AI involved.

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    canyon,

have i been paying too much for my dogs?

am i not paying enough? if i am not, i was unaware that the common lack of affluence here in al affected the price of dogs. heck, i have seen two coon hounds traded with a new z-71 as boot. it would be easier to purchase "whistler's mother" than a couple of beagle bitches i know. we like our dogs!

one current example, slider is fc afc(national finalist, am and open if memory serves) and junie b jones has six derby points(an indication she will qaa at a minimum). a qualified buyer can purchase a pup from charles in the adds now for $1200.

i did buy one pup from up your way that stretched my posted price ranges. i considered that move emotional and unwise.....time will tell!

American Ace,

Price is dependant on possible demand for the specefic breeding, and what the breeder feels is "fair" given the Titles and Health Clearances.

Here is a useful article I read before diving into the retriever game.

http://www.uguidesdpheasants.com/hunting-puppies/

Good Luck!
    Three Rivers Ice Breaker JH - ICE
    2014 1st Place - MJS Fastest Retriever Competition (40 dogs)
    2013 3rd Place - MJS Fastest Retriever Competition (40 dogs)