The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Collar- or - Hunting Collar????

Default Training Collar- or - Hunting Collar????

Once again I'll open myself up for critique...

It seems that most of you folks use your "training collars" when hunting.

I don't hunt much anymore but, when I did I never used my collar when hunting.

Hunting was what the dog was "trained" for and we (dog's and gunners) were out for a good time and to relax.

Those of you that put the collar on your dogs to hunt - -Are you and your dog(s) "relaxing" or training??

I had a conversation a couple of Sundays ago with friend who is a FT Pro. While we were talking he paused to quite the dogs in the yard. I asked; Are things O.K.? He replied, that Sunday was "Their" day off.

So I guess my question would be; Is Hunting relaxation or training?? Work or pleasure??

Train to hunt??? Or hunt to train???
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

I call it an "e-collar", and there is NO WAY I'd leave it home when hunting. I relax a lot more when it's on, because when I'm hunting in what is mostly unfamiliar territory to my dog I want every option at my disposal to keep my dog safe. I've had opportunities to "train" my dog away from skunks, porcupines, and whatever else nature throws at you. Oh yeah, and if your recall is not 100% perfect all the time...the opportunity to keep your dog off the road after an exciting flush.

I believe most should wear a collar when hunting but not all. If you have ever seen what a nutria can do to a lab it might change your opinion. Nobody would drive down the interstate with a stack of money on the hood, why would you want to take a chance of injury or death when pushing a button will get them back to safety without a doubt?
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

I agree with both previous comments and especially the Nutria!
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

It's late..

I Disagree with all of the above comments.. .. "Preserve Game Use a Trained Dog"
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Not sure why you think a dog wearing a collar is untrained? If you don't feel a dog should wear a collar while hunting, then it's safe to assume that once your dog is trained enough to hunt that you never use a collar again.
    Call it insurance...dogs get collar-wise, and the excitement of hunting is far greater than training or testing. I want to have that extra control available, even if I never have to use it.

So...to answer your question: Train to hunt....and maintain it using the consistent routine your dog understands.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    Once again I'll open myself up for critique...

It seems that most of you folks use your "training collars" when hunting.

I don't hunt much anymore but, when I did I never used my collar when hunting.

1#Hunting was what the dog was "trained" for and we (dog's and gunners) were out for a good time and to relax.

2#Those of you that put the collar on your dogs to hunt - -Are you and your dog(s) "relaxing" or training??

I had a conversation a couple of Sundays ago with friend who is a FT Pro. While we were talking he paused to quite the dogs in the yard. I asked; Are things O.K.? He replied, that Sunday was "Their" day off.

3#So I guess my question would be; Is Hunting relaxation or training?? Work or pleasure??

Train to hunt??? Or hunt to train???
    1# I take this as your dog is /was a nervous wreak when you threw the collar on him,so you assume no dog can relax with a collar on due the ways you used the collar when you train

2#Neither ,we are hunting,when I say neither I also mean both relaxing while we hunt and be ready to take advantage of a training scenario while hunting

3#All of the above. It can change from minute to minute,working ,relaxing,training,and it is all pleasure.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Safety is an important issue when hunting so if you think the dog will jump out ahead of the gun or what ever put the collar on to have a relaxing time!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    It's late..

I Disagree with all of the above comments.. .. "Preserve Game Use a Trained Dog"
    You are giving away your age by quoting the Tidewater Specialties catalog.

My point of view---I train to hunt. It's fun time for my dog and time to let him/her get out and around and burn up some energy. I just did some pheasant hunting this past Saturday. I am amazed at how quickly the dog learns that teamwork produces a lot of pheasants for retrieves, the ultimate reward and reinforcement for trained behaviors.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

[QUOTE=Rnd;1058026]It's late..

I Disagree with all of the above comments.. .. "Preserve Game Use a Trained Dog"[/QUOTE]

Hunting is the ultimate test...Excitement that can't be duplicated in training...Just because the collar is on the dog doesn't mean it has to be used...but sometimes dogs forget and if it is a safety issue an ounce of prevention is sure worth more than a injured or dead dog...romp and stomp time in the yard or park is when the collar can stay in the truck.... I haven't seen that Preserve Game line used in many many years...I assume they are out of business now...Steve S
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 01-21-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters