The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Collar- or - Hunting Collar????

1. Safety
    2. To help enforce and keep the standards I've spent numerous hours training for. Why say "Eh, I'm hunting. I'll fix that when I'm training."?
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

I consider my dogs "Working Dogs" and believe in using the right tools for the right job. Sure cuts down on the excuses of why the job did not get done if you go to work prepared. I think the dog will respect you more if you maintain consistent standards, i.e couldnt nick him while hunting for that today but I will nick him tomorrow in training? Disregard my entire post if your dog is collar wise but my dogs know when it is time to go to work, they get the collar put on. I think they love their job.

We hunt upland 99% of the time. It is anything BUT relaxing! As a matter of fact, it is the best adrenaline rush money can buy. I believe I speak for my dogs, too. Relaxing is when my husband and I are laying on the bed watching TV with all five of the dogs.

I wouldn't think of hunting without e-collars. In addition to the reasons previously stated, we also use them as silent communication. We use the "beep-beep" feature on our collars to communicate along with hand signals or body language. If the dog doesn't want to do it our way, they get a "zap." The best way to get close to wild roosters is 'stealth' - no whistles, no voices. (Except when I miss a shot - then it's "foul" language.)

Huh? Guess we ain't got none of those mean old Nutria's around des parts but we do have plenty of Grizzly if that counts. Might use the same logical thought process when your teenager has learned to drive......don't need no dumb seatbelt, you are fully trained to drive, ain't ya? I'm gone. Duckdon

I have an 11 year old dog I hunt a lot without a collar. After about a week or so of outings I need to put it on her for a hunt or 2. If I set her back a hundred yards to wait for me to shoot,,,she will start to creep or if I place her in a specific place after so many ducks she will start to creep out in the open. So I need that little nick to remind her she still has to be steady and she can't put the bird down to squeeze it. The young dogs always have one on. They unravell pretty quick if you shoot enough birds over them.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

When hunting alone my dog doesn't usually wear a collar, when hunting with others it's an honor system, whoever breaks gets the collar put on. How embarrassing to have to be the one wearing the collar
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-22-2013 at 01:30 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    When hunting alone my dog doesn't usually wear a collar, when hunting with others it's an honor system, whoever breaks gets the collar put on. How embarrassing to have to be the one wearing the collar
    I really dont care if you put collars on your dogs, that is all up to you. You as a trainer I am sure know that consistency and correction timing are important to maintaining higher levels of obedience and training. dogs are dogs and they get amped up when the birds are falling, so even though you may have a very well trained dog she may break.

Then you have to get out of your blind or stop the line while upland hunting when you could be shooting more birds, and since she got away with it the first time you let her know that the collar wasnt on and then you put the collar on and she gets the juice and now she really understands what that collar does, and you have a very collar wise dog.

Another great quote for ya " you own what you condone"
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

I wouldn't be scared to hunt with my dog without his e-collar, but I see no reason to do so. Why would I leave a tool at home that I paid several hundred dollars for and which can help ensure not only my dog's safety, but that the standards I've worked hard to establish are maintained? It isn't logical. I've hunted with him many times without ever pressing the button but he is always wearing the collar.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    and you have a very collar wise dog.

Another great quote for ya " you own what you condone"
    Any half-way intelligent dog is pretty much collar-wise day the collar is turned on, sure you might convince a younger pup that stimulation comes from the sky for a couple of sessions, but the strap with bulky box goes goes around my neck, shocking occurs from bulky box, is not rocket science. It's a tool to train, run and use as needed. If one wants to really proof their training and see what these high standards have bought, the dog must be able to run, test, and yes, HUNT just as reliably with or without a collar. If anything Hunting, is the ultimate test and proof of training. I shouldn't need a collar to control my dog, I shouldn't have to put my gun down and be worried about finding a control or button while I'm hunting. My dog should be just as trustworthy and reliable in his trained skill set without the collar, and that is what I'm testing every time we go out. Not to say the most trustworthy, steadiest, most well seasoned dog may not need a reminder every once in awhile. A collar travels quiet nicely in a backpack, very easy to pull out and throw over a neck, still I pretty much consider it a failure of our training, If I'm forced to take it out of it's pack, and correct while hunting.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-22-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

If anything Hunting, is the ultimate test and proof of training. I shouldn't need a collar to control my dog, I shouldn't have to put my gun down and be worried about finding a control or button while I'm hunting. My dog should be just as trustworthy and reliable in his trained skill set without the collar, and that is what I'm testing every time we go out.
    This was my mind set when I posed the question(s)...
    I watched the replies to this thread and didn't know how, or if, I should respond.

It seems that most of those that responded are not comfortable having their dog(s) out without, the collar on. (weather you call it an "e-collar" or anything else)
    That is sad IMO...

It's your dog(s) and you most certainly can do as you wish.

For those of you that have never hunted over/behind "trained" dogs you truly don't know what your missing.

A dog that can hunt ducks/geese all day and not need to be corrected/pressured to be a good citizen is a joy to be around.

When you run a brace of dogs upland hunting with only a whistle and they are steady to wing and shot.......That's when all that training pays off.

As far as safety goes: Are some of you hunting in New York or Chicago??? If your dog is trained "HERE" or sit "whistle" should do the trick.....

It seems to me that maybe the "helicopter parent" has leaked over to the dog world????

To those of you that train your dogs and let them show you what they learned .... Good for you.. The dogs deserve the time to shine

Rant over..... carry on
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA