The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPLO Recovery Schedule

Default TPLO Recovery Schedule

My dog recently underwent TPLO surgery on his back right leg. I was wondering if anyone who has had this procedure done has a week by week schedule of what he should be doing. I have heard a lot of different opinions of how the rehab should be progressing. We are at week 1 now and he is in the crate or on a leash all of the time. He only goes outside to use the bathroom and puts very little weight on the back leg. I have access to water when he is able to swim, I just want to get a better picture of when swimming should begin.

My dog had knee surgery last summer.
    My vet gave me explicit details on how to rehab.
    As hard as it was, we followed them to the letter.
    Recovery of that knee was excellent.

Point?
    Get rehab directions from the vet that did the surgery and follow them.
    There are no shortcuts.

Good luck!
    Stan b & Elvis

Good luck with the rehab on your dog.
    PM sent

RoadKill
    Can you share the details that your Vet gave you? What I am trying to do is get a few different recommendations on how I should go forward. What I have gotten from my vet is 5 - 6 weeks in the crate and leash walks in the yard to air. Then you can start some swimming and leash walks. Then progress into some land running. What I want to understand is how long at each step. How long should I be swimming every day before starting some running on land. I realize that this will depend on how the dog is progressing and reading of the dog. I in no way want to push the recovery and will spend as much time as I need to on each step. I also will have periodic use of an underwater treadmill. I won’t be able to use it ever day but maybe a few times a week. When should I start using it?

Wow Robbie. That's all u were given? For a dog that is working, that is not an effective way to return to use.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

I talked to the vet this morning. They said that after 2 weeks (when I go back for his check up) they will give instructions for the following 4 weeks (until next checkup) and so on…I just want to get out in front and get a couple different opinions of what to do so that I can discuss these with my Vet. So I don’t want to say that is the Only information given, it’s just what I have gotten thus far.

Robbie: Was this a "neighborhood vet" or a specialty vet clinic? I'm surprised you weren't given more info. The rehab is as important as the surgery.

Generally, after 7 days of icing post surgery, you start PROM (passive range of motion) exercises. Icing still continues. I would definitely ask your vet about that. I think they are critical. Google PROM and dogs and you should get protocols, examples and videos.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uXvTu...%3DuXvTuCZKXMY
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPcWqorrXcM
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLODlr2...eature=related

All PROM exercises are to be done slowly. Range will not be there at first. You just extend or flex until you feel slight resistance. Over time, that resistance will go away and you'll get full movement. Ice afterwards.

Also, this site has a great booklet to download. They send weekly exercises too. Each vet does a little something differently, but these are the basics. My vets have more exercises included. http://www.cruciateguide.com/CRUCIATE/recovery.php

Call your vet for more detailed info.

Sue Puff
    Last edited by suepuff; 01-21-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Add website
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

I went to a very reputable Ortho Vet. The Vet may have given some more information but my wife is actually the one who picked him up as I was working out of town. I really was just trying to get a better sense of what others out there who have dealt with the surgery are doing. I was not aware that PROM should be done. I also wasn’t aware that icing should be done. It will have been 7 days as of tomorrow. Should I start icing daily? I will watch and review the PROM youtube videos and start doing these exercises.