RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Teaching Place/Kennel

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Scum Frog 
#1 ·
I am going to be following Hillmann with my pup and have watched the video a couple times now. I was wondering, do you guys that follow Hillmann teach place during the puppy video phase, or do you wait until a certain time in training? I am wanting to teach place to a stand, or mat, or a field hunting hut.

#4 · (Edited)
I am going to be following Hillmann with my pup and have watched the video a couple times now. I was wondering, do you guys that follow Hillmann teach place during the puppy video phase, or do you wait until a certain time in training? I am wanting to teach place to a stand, or mat, or a field hunting hut.
Very early on, my pups are conditioned to a "place board". At first they are fed on one (regularly starting at seven/eight weeks old). During this early puppy phase the word "place" is imprinted. It is not a formal, enforced or corrected process....just a fun, game routine.

Later, when we begin formal OB, they "heel" over one, "sit" on one and return to a "heel/sit" on one from remote sit off another one.

3 months old, short remote "sit", "here" game session

edit: Joel, thanks for the kind reference. I was writing my post almost at the same time. ;)

#6 ·
Most of us can't walk right out the door to train so we need crate manners early on, including for potty training.

I advise clients with all kinds of dogs to have the dogs eat in the crate, and also show them how to lure/reward with treats.

I also teach pups to sit in the crate when I approach and not come out until they are given permission.

There is a good video around called "crate games", done by Susan Garrett that goes over things really thoroughly in this area.

It's all reward based and couldn't hurt to do before or during Hillman's process.

#7 ·
I'm still a little confused my self as to "sit" vs "place" ( what is the real difference here? ) but am interested in learning more about place and possibly introducing this to my pup. I have reviewed kwicklabs website and am looking for additional information on teaching "place". I was at a hunting & fishing show watching a dog training seminar and he had the place boards out for his 12 week ylf and i chatted with him a little bit, but there were lots of folks in line to chat so I didn't get everything I wanted. He had stated that he moved to place boards and "place" because it seemed to cure any creeping that might occur. Obviously when the dog is at sit - without a mat or board, if you turn your head for a second it is difficult to determine if the dog creeped. This was his explanation.

#10 ·
Sit is sit. I use place while hunting timber if I need my dog on the stand asap. He will go to that stand from anywhere around the hole. Also, I use place for getting on to tailgates, into the boat, basically any platform. Trust me, I couldnt hunt without that command.

#8 ·
I was turned on to the place thing a couple weeks ago and wish it had been earlier. The diff is sit means sit here and dont move until told. To me and how i use place is when i train alone which is more than not the case i can walk out a hundred yards, throw a mark, release my dog, he returns to me with bumper then i line him up and say "place" and there he goes back to his board/mat or now whatever i say place it. This comes in handy for hunting too, say you need your dog 100 or so down river, or your in water to cold for him to stand/sit in, all you need is "Place"
I started teaching this in the garage, had him sit on his "Place" i tossed a bumper he got it, then i walked him over and said "place" they pick up quick, then just kee[ expanding the distance. WHen at far distances i use a stake with rags on it to mark the board for me...

#13 ·
This is exactly why I teach it. I start young with place training. When you train alone, having the ability to do remote marks is very important. I think place training makes this much easier for a young dog to understand. I filmed a short video of this with one of the dogs this AM. The dang screen rotation lock was turned on, so the video came out sideways... sorry for that. Here it is, though:

http://youtu.be/MW50jc8OJow

#9 ·
pretty simple, you use an elevated (slightly) board so they have to step up onto it. start by luring the dog onto the platform and rewarding for having all four paws on it. once they start to show they realize the rewards come from being on the platform (they will go there without being told), add the verbal cue. so... cue, lure, reward. phase out the luring as you go along and make the rewards intermittent, then phase out the rewards also...

if you want to the dog to sit on the platform, it's pretty to lure into a sit position but I usually leave that till later so you can work on one thing at a time...

"place" or "hup" or whatever cue just means get all four feet on the platform at first, you can make it mean four feet on and sit later.

I haven't looked but there has to be 100 vids on youtube about this.

#14 ·
we use this in FEMA search and rescue to teach casting (and it's part of the test), but... they have to learn to get on one platform, before they will move from one to the next. Most retriever guys, unless they are doing to teach casting this way, only need one platform.

I teach the FEMA dogs using a procedure similar to Tom's because it needs to be standardized for the volunteers in that program. If I had my way I would teach every directional cast to a single platform, then add multiple platforms to the set up.

Just me, I like to keep it simple early on.

#12 ·
I started my pup on "place" last week (she's 11 wks old) and she picked it up really fast. I used a plastic bow case first, and now I use a laundry basket flipped upside down. She actually figured out what "place" meant during the first session. It's amazing what a few pieces of kibble will do. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.