The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motion sickness

Default Motion sickness

I have a six month old yellow lab who gets sick in the car. When I grab my keys he gets excited to come along but ends up whining in the car. After about 15min in the car he ends up getting sick In the car.When we start taking him hunting everywhere we go is at least 45 min away.We are going to get a kennel for the backseat of the truck but I was wondering if there is anything we can do to help prevent the throwing up. Any input would be great!

don't feed before you ride
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

It can be hours after he eats and it still happens, but I guess when it comes to hunting he can eat his breakfast after they get where they are going.

Chances are good he will eventually outgrow it. Just be patient and have lots of towels for clean up in the mean time.
    Andy

"You can't win until you are not afraid to lose."

Luckydux Cheese And Quackers CD MH - Briezy (7/20/99-4/4/14)
    FTCH AFTCH Luckydux Drakehaven Hot Ticket*** - Ticket
    Luckydux Gave Her Momma Forty Quacks - Lizzie
    Luckydux Quacker Jaxx WC JH - Jaxxy
    Luckydux Graham Quacker WC JH -Graham
    Luckydux Penny In A Parking Lot - Penny

Agree with Andy. One of my pups started getting carsick at around 3-4 months, nothing worked, but, he stopped at around 6-6.5 months. I remember some people gave their dogs dramamine that's sold for human motion sickness, but I'd check with a vet first.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Thanks! I' 'll look into that next time I go to the vet if it does not get any better.I' 'll definitely be sure to have some towels on hand for now!

Short trips everyday to condition him, had the same issue with my Boykin.

I used to work at a dog training facility that dealt with a lot of these types of issues. Depending on the severity of the issue (which sounds like it's not too extreme since your guy can go about 15 min.) How soon does he start whining when you get going? Does he start drooling right away? I've known dogs that would start drooling and vomit shortly after getting in a car, before it even got out of the driveway.

Some dogs were so bad (and the habit of getting sick had gone on so long as they were older dogs) we'd have to literally take baby steps as in get in the car without it running, and sit a bit, get out before stress occurs. Just to break the cycle of them getting sick. Then progress to starting the car. Perhaps just backing in and out of driveway. Then lots of short trips. You get the idea.

On a more humorous note. I once had to work with clients dogs at their home in this baby step fashion, and when I started trips around the block one of client's neighbors called her at work and said she thought someone was suspicious at the house cause they kept going around the block and stopping there! She explained what was going on to the neighbor (who probably thought we were crazy anyway) and called me laughing.

Happy to say these dogs have no issue in the car now and can ride for hours.

I have a dog that had severe MS. It got to the point if I turned on my truck and the dog was outside he would start salivating

Here is what helped one of my dogs to mostly over come this.

He rode up front with me and I held a frozen hot dog in my hand as we went down the road,,,eventually I did not need the hot dog any more ,,,I just used a lot of petting and fun sounds for the dog as we went down the road.
    Then it was time to put him on the truck.
    I drove 50 yards ,,,stopped and checked,,,,he was covered in druel and he regressed and started drueling and puking in my front seat (towels and prep done first) It got to a point that the sound of my truck made him sick.
    So I started all over,,,,then when I got him back to where he was,,,, I moved him to the truck and gave him a knuckle bone to divert his attention.
    I also threw bumpers in ,around and under my truck while it was running ,,,starting from a distance and moving in as the dog showed he was able to get closer.
    He is about 98 percent better, that equates to a few drips of gew occassionally instead of gallons
    Some dogs get over it on their own so may be what I did was actually for naught

Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 01-22-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus