The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motion sickness

Thanks for the link I will have to keep that in mind 12mcrebel !

@Jen....He starts whining about 5-10 min into the ride and drools like crazy..I''ve been taking him to places like the bank or store as often as I can. Looks like we need to spend some more time in the car!
    @ Pete... He is really excited about the car and truck jumps in tail wagging so that is a good thing! He loves my husband's truck because lately every time he drives it he brings ducks back lol!
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone!!

Have your vet provide a drug called Cerenia. It is especially made for motion sickness. It's given once a day but can only be given 2 days in a row. However, after 2 days, the syndrome may well be conquered.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Does he run back & forth looking out windows in car excited/aggitated, or does he sit/lay down & stress out? With some dogs it may help to have them ride in a kennel (especially if he is the one that is running about getting himself worked into a fit) Some may just feel more secure in a kennel, or maybe it helps that they can't see out. Also try cracking a window.

Regardless, if he is getting upset that quickly, the key is to take him on lots of rides short of that. Quit while your ahead and he isn't stressing yet (drool/whine) need to break that habit, even though he likes to get in to go. Gradually increase duration of rides.

I'm almost willing to bet that a properly sized crate will work.
    I just had a manager at one of the facilities that I go to 1x a month tell me that as soon as his wife bought a crate for the car as I had suggested, their 2+ yo lab stopped having issues. Some just need the added security, and to me, it's dumb not to crate them in cars for safety reasons.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, we will be putting most to good use! We' 've been looking into getting a kennel for the car and it seems like a good idea now for sure!