The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi aggressive dog?

Default Semi aggressive dog?

From 12 weeks old my male has been highly socialized he is alittle over 2 now and is very aggressive towards other new dogs. At 1.2 years old he was attacked at a training day and has never been the same since. He is great with new people and kids. My question is has anyone been successful training dominance toward other dogs out of a male. Or do you just keep him out of the situations like I have been doing. Thanks for any help.
    Sometimes I wish I had a sign for my dog that read "NO ma'am he's not a lab!"

You can do it but it takes lots of dicipline. It may not be worth the trouble. I would just keep him out of harms way.

Some dogs just don't want to get along with another dog. I saw Jim Gonia go through the exercise and after he was done the two dogs would sit beside each other but not look toward the other dog.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I agree with Wayne, it isn't worth the trouble and I have never seen one become trustworthy after they get the urge to fight. I would never trust it around another dog unsupervised. Best thing is to keep confrontations from taking place.

It could be a fearful response also,,not uncommon for dogs who are attacked to go on the offensive,,,being defensive.

You need a very high level of the control commands,,,there are only 3 you need to start controlling this.
    Learn how to manipulate the situation,,and read your dog then counter his thinking.
    There are lots of people who are successful . Its takes work and commitment. You must make a habit of this and when you do you won't even realize it and it won't seem like work anymore If you have a passion to learn how,, it will also make you a better dog handler. I would think with all the people in Texas there has to be someone who specializes in this
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 01-23-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

I agree with Pete on all counts, especially on the "counter his thinking" part. It is also a good possibility that his problem isn't that he is trying to be dominant towards other dogs, but is actually afraid due to the attack he suffered. What you might be seeing is a big show to keep other dogs out of his space. To a dog like this, the best defense is a good offense.

I have a blue heeler like this, and Pete is right - it is a lot of work and commitment to help them. But it can be done. Even with all the work, I still manage the situations I put him in.... I really don't want to take a step backwards and undo all the good training if I can help it!

I think you have gotten some good advise from everybody so far. First and foremost do not put him in a situation where he can fail. Thenwork with him being honest, but fair and keep your standards high. IF he were the only dog in the house and his nly job was to be a companion and hunt (without any other dogs) then you might be ok to just deal with it. However, if you are going to run tests/ trials, you have other dogs around and hunt with other guys who might have a dog you will need to deal with it.

The very lsat thing you want is a fight in the holding blind, or him breaking on honor and it going downhill fast. Pete was probably spoon when he said that someone in Texas should be able to help.
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake&Tex View Post
    I agree with Pete on all counts, especially on the "counter his thinking" part. It is also a good possibility that his problem isn't that he is trying to be dominant towards other dogs, but is actually afraid due to the attack he suffered. What you might be seeing is a big show to keep other dogs out of his space. To a dog like this, the best defense is a good offense.

I have a blue heeler like this, and Pete is right - it is a lot of work and commitment to help them. But it can be done. Even with all the work, I still manage the situations I put him in.... I really don't want to take a step backwards and undo all the good training if I can help it!
    I do know when there have been unforeseen in counters is first reaction is to growl and be aggressive but if the dog is passive then 2 minutes later they are running and playing. This happened while duck hunting one day He was on the bank while we were picking up deks and a ranch dog showed up out of no where. And after the initial in counter they ran around and played for 15 min before we left.

It was A male also just a mild mannered one.

I do know when there have been unforeseen in counters is first reaction is to growl and be aggressive but if the dog is passive then 2 minutes later they are running and playing. This happened while duck hunting one day He was on the bank while we were picking up deks and a ranch dog showed up out of no where. And after the initial in counter they ran around and played for 15 min before we left.
    If this is the case,,,then you have a cake walk. If your dog doesn't jump through plate glass windows or take nose dives off of 2nd story decks to kill another dog which is 200 yards away,,, then you got it easy. This is what I would call very aggressive,,(,this being true to fact is meant here as a figure of speech.)

Your dog sounds somewhat normal in range of behavior. Insecure is all.

Has your dog ever torn another dog to screds,actually tearing into as if to kill. Stomach,haunch,heel bites

Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Lol. The only scrap he was in neither dog broke skin.