The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retriever Club Training Day

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I think another idea would be for clubs who have quite a few members with new pups, is to have maybe 1or 2 folks that are well versed in the yard.

have those folks take that group of pups through the yard from basic OB to ff, to pile work, ending with the group running their first cld blblind shove each participant homework, then review progress each week
    I could use this as the pro I was going to set up something with is in Florida or Georgia. Stuf like this could help newbs into the games or atleast I wouldn't be cussing so many other guys dogs while hunting.

Thanks moosegooser for the link idea. We have to be careful throwing marks if the ground is too slippery or the snow too deep. Had one of mine blow a crusiate winter training here in the great white north.

i love our club training days. if i don't feel like training dogs the day it is scheduled.....i always go!

just kidding. our hrc club trains one saturday a month outside of hunting season. the sessions are always good but people usually seem to enjoy a "pic nic" test environment more than marking drills. we always do a big ft setup in the afternoon too. last spring i did a new puppy class with live bird introduction as part of our membership push at one training day.(i enjoyed it, not too sure about the new folks?)

our ft club trains every saturday. we have fun......mostly!
    john mccallie

The next time you come to play with us John, be sure to bring Justin.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Monkey + Football = You should get the picture Stan
    My observation; very little training gets done, only want to work on multiple marks with alot of handling instead to teaching concepts to build on.

Disclaimer; I don't do club training days anymore, too much work for too little sugar.
    Sounds spot on! Add a pinch of bitching and a sliver of gosspi!
    River Bottom Retrievers

HRCH River Bottom Riparian Backwater MH - "Timber"
    (FC Riparian Windfall X HRCH Drenicks Castile Creek Allie MH)

River Bottoms Simply Elegant - "Pearl"
    (FC Drake's Bay Parting Of The Sea X Oldsquaw's Miss Darla QAA)

River Bottoms Leather N Lace - "Lacey"
    (FC AFC Wood River's Franchise X CFC Baypoints My Girl)

www.RiverBottomRetrievers.net

I've always heard "join a club,"join a club" "join a club" when people are talking to new folks just getting into the game but I seeing several people here say its basically a waste of time. What gives?
    I'm in west KY and the nearest HRC clubs that I can find on the net are about 2 hours away in TN. Will I be wasting my time joining or is it a club by club deal where some are good and some others..not so much?

Quote Originally Posted by grnhd View Post
    I've always heard "join a club,"join a club" "join a club" when people are talking to new folks just getting into the game but I seeing several people here say its basically a waste of time. What gives?
    I'm in west KY and the nearest HRC clubs that I can find on the net are about 2 hours away in TN. Will I be wasting my time joining or is it a club by club deal where some are good and some others..not so much?
    Just speaking from my own experiences, I think the advice is good. At our training days, we make sure the n00bs and young dogs get some good training in and some good things to work on when they go home. When we set up something for more advanced dogs, we at least try to do it so that the newer folks can handle it--run as singles, move up, etc. If anything, the more advanced folks may get less out of it training wise, but it is always fun nonetheless. But we do have a fun club.

There is more to a club than the training days. If you enjoy the sport, you ought to join a club, IMHO. If for no other reason than to provide support (financial, time & talent) so the clubs can continue to exist and to host events.

For some reason, I'm getting this picture of JFK's inauguration...."Ask not what your ........"

As to the O.P.
    Our club will usually have a Sr/Master level setup (multiple marks with a blind). At times, it can take too long to get things setup & there can be too much time between dogs, but I still find a way to work on something with my dog and hangout with my dog friends. It ain't perfect, but there are worse things to do on a Saturday.
    Last edited by TN_LAB; 01-23-2013 at 07:57 AM.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Joining a club is a good idea as you'll get access to experienced people and possibly land to train on. While there can be downside to a large training group, I'd try to find someone or somebodies within the club that have a good gameplan when they go training and catch on with a subset of the club. It's a catch 22 situation, you'll need a few people to help with multiple marks and some drills, i.e. ABC drills. I train with 2 -3 guys outside of my pro training day and we decide on a concept before even getting there, set it up, run it and move on the the next thing. Efficiency is almost as important as the training. Have a gameplan, keep a notebook on your dog, work on specific things. I keep a digital notebook on our setups to evaluate my dogs and continue to work on concepts that give me trouble. Even if a smaller group has something already setup, there is no reason why you couldn't tweak it to fit your needs. If your throwing birds for them, they should accomadate for you as well. Be positive, work hard and you'll get that in return from folks who enjoy training and really want to improve. Good luck.
    An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject

My club holds maybe a dozen "training days" throughout the year. It's a HT based club . We train on State Properties most of the time. So, I would say that the major drawback is quality of the grounds first and foremost. Very little tech water. Do the best with what you have though. We do have nice rolling farm fields.

I usually chair a few sessions a year . I try to find out in advance if there is a common concept that alot of people need to work on and then we try to repeat that concept in the two or three series of work we can accomplish during the session.

Because of the different levels of dogs/trainers present, you always try to have multiple options for blinds, and some of the other work. We usually devise one or two SH level blinds off to the side of the marks, vs. the MH level blinds that will be up the middle of the marks, or tight to the back of gunning stations etc. etc.

To make it all work though, you've got to delegate some of the jobs out, start working at the designated time, and everyone who comes "works". Keep it fun, and try to teach and reinforce something each session. And, have some fun !
    "Are you a good witch, or a bad witch ?" Glinda, the good witch of the North.