Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: interesting article in Shotgun Life

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Don who?
    MG
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Personally I found the article interesting. I think there is validity to positive reinforcement. I use it every time Gauge does something right. I use praise he uses food.
    What I read from the article is that a food reward based training system is superior to using a lead with a collar, CC or FF(not directly mentioned but implied), and there was no mention at all about praise.
    I believe the method is viable, but to discount the success of thousands of trainers all over the world is a bit bold.

Gundog_2002....if your comment was aimed at Robert Milner of Duckhill Kennels.....THAT WAS A CHEAP SHOT.

Don who?
    Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    I've gone and spit up my cranberry juice, you rotter! Kidney malfunction ahead.

Truth be told, I'm getting a kick out of the outrage to Milner's screed from the US pointing dog fraternity, who do predominantly use e-collars as "shock collars."

MG

Sorry Mike got it this one correct, I believe his interrogatory form was used to express surprise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Cherry
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

You Canadians better cut it out or Milner's going to expound on Lean Mac's having been the "original canoe Lab." ...

MG

I've gone and spit up my cranberry juice, you rotter! Kidney malfunction ahead.

Truth be told, I'm getting a kick out of the outrage to Milner's screed from the US pointing dog fraternity, who do predominantly use e-collars as "shock collars."

MG
    Truth be told MG! similar conflicting and mis-representation for the gundog 'masses' old and new alike ''this side of the pond'' as you are aware!...Maybe 'Pippa' will combine forces and be the 'reckoning' for us all?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

From the article:
    “If you shock a dog with a bird in his mouth, his neck and jaw muscles contract, which causes him to clamp down or punch holes in the bird."

I hope you all will now stop shocking your dogs as they pick up the bird. This could be problematic.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

You Canadians better cut it out or Milner's going to expound on Lean Mac's having been the "original canoe Lab." ...
    Sorry, let me clarify: You Canadians better cut it out or Milner's going to expound on Lean Mac's having been the "original canoe Lab" that was ruined by North American field trials.

MG

Truth be told MG! similar conflicting and mis-representation for the gundog 'masses' old and new alike ''this side of the pond'' as you are aware!...Maybe 'Pippa' will combine forces and be the 'reckoning' for us all?
    Robt., Warning: the "pointing" Labs folks got their vivisectionist dirks (dirks!) out for your buddy up in Minnesota too over this "informative article" of Milner's.

MG