The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blastomycosis

Default Blastomycosis

What can you tell me about a dog who has this and has broken out with sores all over the body?
    steve becker

Get to the Vet!!!!!! Odds are very good its in the lungs, eye(s), etc. The second you suspect BLASTO meds are needed ASAP!! It's a terrible, cruel disease. I know I lost one to it.
    Dennis
    Revilo Tru Betrlate Than Never (AKC & CKC QAA) 1/17/96 - 6/22/09
    High Voltage Power Ranger MH

I don't know how the OP could possibly know that the dog has Blasto, if they hadn't already been to the Vet.

We are at vets and am awaiting confirmation of his diagnosis. Is dog at risk of not recovering?
    steve becker

Has the dog been diagnosed or are you suspecting Blasto?

If the dog has been diagnosed than I would ask the vet about the sores. If you suspect your dog has it than get it to the vet ASAP!! Have them start meds right then and there even if they argue with you. Blasto manifests itself in many different ways and a lot of vets are not as knowledgeable as we would think on the subject. We lost a dog to this horrible disease three years ago...he ended up also having a tumor on his spine but no one can tell me that he did not have Blasto. It manifested itself in his eye that looked just horrible...he did not show anything in his lungs and the vet didn't check, or treat, for Blasto because of this. His eye had a lot of green, yellow puss and sores around it. He could only walk with assistance and finally his kidneys shut down. We ended up having to put him down and it was an absolute horrible way to die...
    If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver.

Flyin High in the Passenger Side CD RN CGC - "Scrub"

K&D's Sweet Romancer RN CGC - "Eddie" - newest member of the family.

High Flying Storm Trooper - Trooper (02/25/03 - 07/26/09) - He gave us his all - We miss you big guy...run and play...

Quote Originally Posted by mouth plumber View Post
    We are at vets and am awaiting confirmation of his diagnosis. Is dog at risk of not recovering?
    Hang in there Steve. Hope the best for your dog. Many recover, some don't hope you caught it in time. Lots of info online including threads on this forum. You can use the search feature to find them. Focus on your dog for now...
    Last edited by huntinman; 01-21-2013 at 12:47 PM.
    Bill Davis

Recovery rate is not good. Medications are super expensive. Just lost a dog to this cruel and punishing disease. Most put the dog down to save them from the pain. Ask your vet how advanced it is. Once it hit the nervous system its bad. My prayers go out to you and your dog.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Last week he limped a little and vet treated for sore paw. Last night he started getting sores and growths all over face, skull and is losing hair. Also is too lame to walk. Am awaiting test result on blasto. Hoping there is a better cure today then the was years ago. Prayers are appreciated.
    steve becker

Donna is right. I have seen dogs that have shown different outward signs of blast.
    all breeds. german Shepard that had that clasic lung -cough. English Setter that had an infection of eyes and swollen mouth lymph nodes and still another with sores that would NOT heal.
    I yelled "fire" to all owners of these dogs all died from that lack of early detection .
    I board dogs so I see alot of stuff.
    Prayers sent for a speedy recovery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Steve if your dog is limping be very careful on how you proceed. As hard as it is take the emotions out of your decision.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH