The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Chukars or Pheasants and Suggestions

Default Chukars or Pheasants and Suggestions

I have a pointing Lab that I plan on taking my training to the next level. I was unable to really work on his pointing abililites this last fall and have brought him south for the winter to a trainer that is working on Whoa and continuing my field work with him. I am getting him back in April just in time for hunt test season to start which I really am excited about as it was too late in the year for me to start on any tests.

The question I have is what birds do you like the most? I thinking about building a coop for 30-40 birds for training. I know that if I had pheasant I can only use them during hunting season, and am leaning towards Chukars.

I am looking for any suggestions on what birds to use how many to get... I am open to any ideas.
    HPK's A Warriors Call "Titan"
    HPK's Every Shot Counts (Ammo)

I think that the chukars may have a tendency to hold better. Also, I think they have a stronger scent which you may want for training purposes. But if you will be hunting pheasants, you will probably want pheasants at some time in the future, that is if you like a pointing dog that will move from his initial point and maybe cut off a running bird. Those are my thoughts.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Chuckers are cheaper, easier to raise and handle. I would have both but more chuckers. Duckdon

Chukar are much easier to keep, less expensive too. You have a young pointing lab and working w/ chukar will continue to enhance your dogs natural pointing instincts and training as the chukar will hold while your dog points and are less likley to run off like phesants do. If your plan is to run any APLA this spring, you can choose between chukar and phez; your entry fees will be a few dollars less w/ chukar and will likley produce a better testing outcome with chukar.
    APR HR Big Air Buster
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    Crown's King Gordon
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Rhenee Fadling View Post
    Chukar are much easier to keep, less expensive too. You have a young pointing lab and working w/ chukar will continue to enhance your dogs natural pointing instincts and training as the chukar will hold while your dog points and are less likley to run off like phesants do. If your plan is to run any APLA this spring, you can choose between chukar and phez; your entry fees will be a few dollars less w/ chukar and will likley produce a better testing outcome with chukar.
    Thats good to know, do you get chukars when they are chicks? or are you better off getting them full grown? I do plan on running APLA this spring/summer. The trainer said APR should be no problem and should be able to run MPR by this fall. I am very excited to see what happens this summer.

I used chukars for all the reasons mentioned. Quail are cheaper, but generally will not fly very well unless you release and train for recall.

Pigeons are tougher than nails, cheaper and if you learn how to plant them, just as effective. Depending on your "carding" skills, an adult, feral pigeon can provide more than one "find" opportunity.

I am thinking about building a coop for 30-40 birds for training.
    Be very careful about crowding with chukars or pheasants. They both will cannibalize. I found it was more efficient in terms of bird loss to buy in smaller quantities (more space per bird).
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Senior Member Richard McCullough's Avatar

I also use chukar most of the time, lately only Pheasant when my dogs are working for a client at the preserve. Quail tend to be real iffy, but Chukar this time of year are good flyers.

What I ahve learned through the years training my pointing labs, is I will use Quail early in the Season, or late summer, then transition to Chukar a month before a hunt test.
    4XGMPR HRCH Lankas Labs Brandys Maximillion MH "Max"

1.5XGMPR HR Rick's Rooster Smasher of DRL SH "Eli"

APR HR Bearpoint's They Call Me The Breeze SH "Breeze"

The New Club; Piedmont Pointing Labrador Club

Don't forget to throw in a few ducks..........In my opinion, forget the quail. Your dog is to old and like Kwiklab mentioned, they don't fly well. I use quail on real little puppies and then they are gone...... Thumbs up for pigeons. Duckdon

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    I used chukars for all the reasons mentioned. Quail are cheaper, but generally will not fly very well unless you release and train for recall.

Pigeons are tougher than nails, cheaper and if you learn how to plant them, just as effective. Depending on your "carding" skills, an adult, feral pigeon can provide more than one "find" opportunity.

Be very careful about crowding with chukars or pheasants. They both will cannibalize. I found it was more efficient in terms of bird loss to buy in smaller quantities (more space per bird).
    When you say you buy in small quantities how many birds you get/keep in what size of an area?

Here's a link to what I did. Eighteen seemed to do well (first batch). Having the "upper level" helped to spread them out some. The next batch of twelve (did not do quite as well).

I attempted to recall them, but if memory serves me right, that process works much better if they are much younger at first. Right off the game farm and flight ready Chukars are almost clueless (about everything).

Johnny House (Link)
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)