The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Growling Puppy

Doesn't anybody pinch the puppy?
    I have sat and watched MANY a litter for hours and the puppy that is being bit doestn't just say "owee" and the other pup let's go, the pup that is being bit , BITES back!
    There is a consequence for this behavior in my house. I am like a snake, a very quick pinch, even if the pup vocalizes when I do it.
    For what it is worth I don't use an alpha roll. I am not a believer in them .
    Last edited by Bridget Bodine; 01-22-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Puppy's testing you, or just learning where she stands in the house-hold. When she gets all growly, and your annoyed with it. I'd pick her up put her in my lap and hold her there until she calms & stops growling, You better bet on a pretty good fight the first couple times you do this, it will not be her idea to be in your lap, if it's not her idea, she's going to scream and squirm probably nip at you, but eventually she'll tire of the tantrum, clam down and then you can put her back on the floor. She'll start to learn the Faster she calms down the faster she can go back to what she want to do. For a puppy that bites I do one of two things, tell them no and two finger bop them on the nose (usually makes them sneeze, a couple of those and they think better of it,) or I let them chew on my fingers when it gets too hard put I'll the pups lips under her teeth, and squeeze, puppy yips and learns to bite softer.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    I'll the pups lips under her teeth, and squeeze, puppy yips and learns to bite softer.
    This is what we had to do with my pup.....at 15 weeks she still needs a reminder once in a while
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

Growling not really improving. I did some retrieving with her today and she growl and bites at the paint roller when I roll it out of her mouth. She has times where she growls and bites if you are petting her and aggressively growls when she attacks pant legs. I don't really see it as a playing growl. I have had a lot of puppies over the years and some would bite alot and some did not. The easily understood no and would quit when given the command. Biting I can deal with but the growling is a different story and has me concerned. My family won't tolerate it.

I'm really not sure how anyone can be so upset by growling in an 8 week old. It just isn't that big of a deal, given some time and patience, but if it is to you and your family are so put out by it, I would suggest contacting her breeder and seeing about getting pup back to them. Or finding someone else who is willing to take the pup for a bit and work on it.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    Growling not really improving. I did some retrieving with her today and she growl and bites at the paint roller when I roll it out of her mouth. She has times where she growls and bites if you are petting her and aggressively growls when she attacks pant legs. I don't really see it as a playing growl. I have had a lot of puppies over the years and some would bite alot and some did not. The easily understood no and would quit when given the command. Biting I can deal with but the growling is a different story and has me concerned. My family won't tolerate it.
    I agree with Kim and the others.. Some breeders handle individual pups a lot and socialize and work on bite inhibition with their pups before they leave while many others think that tossing a pigeon is the only thing that needs to be done to evaluate a pup... It's a puppy!!! Patience is key!
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Same problem, when my Blackie plays like crazy, there's hardly anything that could hold him. I try to wear him out by trying to let him jump and bite the ropeball a few times. When I do not give him the toy he growls, and just let him have it for a few seconds, and try to play that over again.

We have a 10 week old Chesapeake who looses his mind every day at around 8PM! He got a hold of a dead mouse tonight and I had to pry his jaws open, he growled and tried a few times to bite me, barking and all, he was mad! He was on the leash at the time and after I got it away from him I just walked away and ignored him while bringing him along behind me. Is that the correct way to handle something like this? I can put my hand in his mouth and his food when he eats without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    ... My family won't tolerate it.
    How's the pup bred? you may be able to place in a home that makes more sense. What are her health clearances?

I basically endure the puppy biting. I'm a grown man and I can't really bring myself to pretending like I'm hurt and I can take a lot in the name on bonding.