The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Young dog marking drills/concepts

Thanks Jenifer, forgive me! what is ''check-up'' on marks?
    Some call them check-down marks. Which means the dog needs to NOT go long again (check-up). Using short cover and white bumpers is effective for initial exposure. Marks 2 and 4 are check-down singles.

This is a good time to introduce the "easy" cue which is a little more difficult to do when your dog's name is Daisy.
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 01-22-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    And it's a really bad idea to run marks into the wind. Especially with a young dog.
    Whey hey!!! Thanks ,You are probably the only guy that (I) have come across (this side) that advocates that as (I) Do!
    You may remember ''Wind what a load of baloney''?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Good stuff! Obviously a real life bird boy would be best, but I'm guessing I could run the X-Box drill with my two bumper boys set up bi-directional? Just wouldn't have a helper or extra bumper if he needed help.
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    Some call them check-down marks. Which means the dog needs to NOT go long again (check-up). Using short cover and white bumpers is effective for initial exposure. Marks 2 and 4 are check-down singles.

This is a good time to introduce the "easy" cue which is a little more difficult to do when your dog's name is Daisy.
    Alot harder when your dog's name is 'Hardy' when the 'Hard' cue is introduced.
    Similar drill over here, but no 'Bird boy' at 7 month old pup!...Finding the dog learns to much too soon?...unless you are training for that of course.

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Whey hey!!! Thanks ,You are probably the only guy that (I) have come across (this side) that advocates that as (I) Do!
    You may remember ''Wind what a load of baloney''?
    I can't think of an example, where I'll use the wind to help the dog succeed.

If I just want to cancel it out, I'll put it at my back. Whether it's on marks, or on blinds.

If I want to use the wind, it'll be to add more difficulty. Not to reward the dog for doing the wrong thing.

If I just want to cancel it out, I'll put it at my back. Whether it's on marks, or on blinds.

If I want to use the wind, it'll be to add more difficulty. Not to reward the dog for doing the wrong thing.
    That will do for me!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZ6MZcHp10

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Duck View Post
    Good stuff! Obviously a real life bird boy would be best, but I'm guessing I could run the X-Box drill with my two bumper boys set up bi-directional? Just wouldn't have a helper or extra bumper if he needed help.
    I don't think that is a good thing to do with a pup. It's more for an older dog, that has issues running tight to guns/fall areas. You don't want to possibly get the pup to think, ok to go back to old fall. Fall areas, at that age, should be not tight, and distinct area for each one..
    Drills like that, big white bumper, on mowed grass, don't really teach a dog to mark. Only real marks, in the field, do that.

So, take your bumper boys to the field, and set up stickmen with them. Set up concept doubles, then run as singles. You can do long/short, for check down, or short/long, for run past old fall, don't go back.
    Continue using terrain, hills, ditches, wind, angling cover strips, etc. Singles off multiple guns, is the way to go. Even better if you can set up 3 marks.

Throws should be as long, flat, as possible. You want the pup to focus, watch the throw for as long as possible. Angled in/ straight back, don't allow for this. Get the bumper as far from gun as you can.
    .Short throws encourage dog not to mark, just run at the gun.Teach check downs, etc, by how you set up the marks, not by the throw.

If you like big, white bumpers in a mowed field, ok, fun for you, and the dog..But, not going to really teach much of anything. IMO
    Unless you have a dog with little drive, needs momentum. Then, like to do that kind of thing. Depends.
    Last edited by cakaiser; 01-22-2013 at 07:22 PM.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

What about 'Line up drills' with the handler?..Do you guy's do this when teaching/learning a pup of 7 months on ''Marks''?

My reply 'copterdoc', was a BIG http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=ca%20ching
    Also the BIG main difference between these Atlantic waters ,on early conditioning/training/mindset ,where the dog is trusting the training as opposed to the Trainer trusting the dog in the UK programmes?..Which also has lead some over here,to dis-trust the programmes over there.
    All starting from the early basic 'Mark'!!!

There is a club somewhat near you that you might consider joining.
    There may be some other people near you in NC as well. It is more fun to train with other people and easier to help the dog progress.

http://www.netnrc.com/