The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Another Thread about Food......

Default Another Thread about Food......

First off Hey,

New to the forums picked up my chocolate lab male puppy last saturday from the breeders. Very excited.

My question is about food again. I have read and read dogfoodreviews, website after website you name it.

I decided I would go with the Tractor Supply Company brand 4Health Puppy Formula..

I dont know how many of you have had experience with this brand or not but on every website its either a 4 or 5 star dog food. Natural ingredients, no wheat, corn or soy and its a good price. Eventually to move him up to the adult 4Health at 2 years of age.

I know the breeders got him started on Purina Puppy Chow and a day or two transition to the new food its normal for runny stool. Well it is now his 7th full day on the 4Health Puppy Formula and he still has runny stool
    ...is it just because he is a puppy or does his stomach not agree with the food?

Also I am open to taking recommendations and my dogs health (including my 4 year old pit) is always the upmost concern for me. However, I am still a college kid operating on a college budget and some food are a little pricey if they are the higher quality.

I heard Eukanuba is always a good choice. But I am wondering if any puppies have ever had problems with there puppy food and then also if anybody knows a round about price for say a 40lb bag or the cheapest place to pick up a bag.

Thanks everyone again in advance!
    Beauregard's Finest Hour

I would never have switched food on a 7-12 week pup in a day or two, could be the water, eating more grass, worms, the food, at 3-4 days I would have gone to see the vet.

There are multiple causes for runny stool in a puppy. A quick change of food without taking time to transition is one. Parasites, giardia, coccidia, some bacterial issues, all are common enough and can easily be trigged by the stress of a new home as well. Pup should probably be seen by vet, or at least take in a stool sample, as it's gone on for a week now vs trying a hodgepodge of home remedies or just thinking it is the food and start switching around there.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Here is all all Im saying,I have fed Pro Plan Performance for 10 plus yrs.Shiny coats and hard stool.I thought about switching and compared Euk and maybe its cause I'm way down south but my corn ratio does not look much off their chart.Maybe the new PPPerformance has not hit us yet and also EUK when lifted was 3/4 of the bag.
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

I have never had a problem with switched a puppy before the way I have... Then again I have never owned a lab. I don't know if their stomachs are weaker and take longer to switch over? I've never heard of that before.

I don't know maybe I should take him to a vet but I just didn't see it ever being that big of a deal.
    Beauregard's Finest Hour

seven days of runny stools is a no brainer---take his butt to the vet.