The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Master Hunters of 2015

Default Master Hunters of 2015

I had a nice litter on Thanksgiving evening. 6 girls, 1 boy. Line bred on AFC Ready.
    Sire (Thunder) is my hunting dog out of a HRCH Cosmo girl, and Ready and the dam (Charger) is out of a MH from Nandool Elwood Blues, and Ready. Thunder has hunted with me in Canada , NoDak and Illinois,. He is 2 for 2 in Sr. and should be MH this year. Charger was a hunting dog on a controlled shooting preserve till she was 3.

I picked “Blue” from the start. She was the first to do everything and is also the biggest of all the pups. “Blue” is what we called her just because she ended up with the blue collar. Gronk was the only male. I am a closet Patriots fan down here in the south and I am looking for a clutch performer, so “Gronk”. Just hope he does not have the injury problems of his name sake.

Blue with a canvas bumper after feeding time this AM

Another around the decoys.

Here is Gronk doing his thing.

Only bad thing about winter pups is the fact I can’t get them in the water. Usually I have mine swimming by 5-6 weeks old, but too cold now.
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    Only bad thing about winter pups is the fact I can’t get them in the water. Usually I have mine swimming by 5-6 weeks old, but too cold now.
    ....but the good thing is they are around 9-12 months old when their first hunting season rolls around

On the not getting into the water at a young age and waiting till spring....I have not found it to be an issue. Introduce pup as you normally would and you'll have a swimmer in no time.
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

Mike, she is a cutie, good luck with the new addition/s....