The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soothsayer of the Western World

More jobs lost to China...SOAB

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Thank you grammar police. I'm amazed that your political aspirations fizzled out at the school board level.
    If one had political aspirations, the ability to treat your posts with less than disdain would be helpful. Every vote counts, even one from those less knowledgeable .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    If one had political aspirations, the ability to treat your posts with less than disdain would be helpful. Every vote counts, even one from those less knowledgeable .
    I'll play.
    While Marvin's spelling may be correct. His sentence structure sometimes leaves much to be desired. It is the structure of the engineer rather than of the poet or of the writer of literature. I do not pretend to be a wordsmith, nor the winner of my spelling bee on the prarie. My position in my eighth-grade class, I do not remember.
    Marvin's intellectual snobbery, however, holds no bounds. He reads, he comprehends, above all of us...peasants, with dung between our toes. Marvin drops pearls at our feet. His intellectual superiority drips from every post. He does not hesitate to hold those who do not agree to his standards of spelling as inferior.
    I'll close, and give Marvin his due. He does not retreat. He engages.
    Unlike others, JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Don't you think it would be cheaper to have them built in Mexico? I believe marketing is the reason they are being built here, and it has been very effective.
    I really don't believe that they would hesitate to build them in Mexico if it were significantly cheaper to do so. Perhaps the savings are offset by the US work force capability? "American built" is certainly a marketing point, but it would be hard to really quantify, since people were buying plenty of Toyotas even before they were made here.

I might add, that in addition to the manufacturing jobs, there are a LOT of jobs provided in the sales and service of the vehicles. My son started working on cars at age 15. After having his own small shop he went to work for a GM multi-brand dealership that also sold Saabs, for which he was also "certified". After two years there, and they wouldn't give him a raise, he went to a large Toyota dealership where he supervised their service department, and then took the job with corporate. In addition to fully paid family health insurance, he also gets a 401k and a pension.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Romney was only partially right that Jeeps were going to be built in China, but his remarks in Toledo, aka Jeeptown, were off the mark when he said Jeep jobs were going to be shipped to China, implying American jobs were going down the drain.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Romney was only partially right that Jeeps were going to be built in China, but his remarks in Toledo, aka Jeeptown, were off the mark when he said Jeep jobs were going to be shipped to China, implying American jobs were going down the drain.
    One cannot defend the lack of clarity in Romney's statement ... though one could extrapolate that those Jeeps could also have been manufactured in the US, so it would be "some" jobs going to China. That could result in fewer jobs being needed in the US if those Jeeps presently exported to China would no longer be made here.

However, there was probably more truth in Romney's statement than in the Obama campaign's statement that Romney's business decisions (which he actually did NOT make) caused a woman to die of cancer five years after one of Bain's acquired companies closed.

Perhaps it is even more reprehensible that the widower of that lady would participate in the use of his wife's death for political reasons (maybe even cash reimbursement) when he knew that his wife had her own health insurance through her own employer even after he lost his job. Politicians may have no souls or morals, but the widower looks like he would have made a good politician himself.

We don't know why she lost that coverage, but we might very well suspect that her disease was NOT yet manifested when her coverage either was lost through loss of her job or whether she & her husband felt they could not longer afford whatever it was costing them. Five years from now we may hear that some Solyndra employees (or family members) die of cancer. Should we then blame the Obama and his administration for those deaths due to a bad investment in that company?

If political campaigns are directed to the lowest-information voters by using half-truths, maybe if we want reform of our election laws we should actually look toward the "truth" aspect, and not just the amount of money the candidates are spending. If they spent a lot of money actually giving truthful facts, we might actually make some headway in finding solutions to the country's problems?

I think we can safely say that both parties are guilty of half-truths (if not outright lies) at various times.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Once the production of vehicles overseas can cover the import taxes/tariffs our largest manufacturing jobs will also be on the move. GM and Chrysler were the instrumental in the start of production vehicles in Mexico and Canada and this will be a good start making us more of a global society. It will also reduce our green house production and we will be able to blame it on China. The steel will not even need to be shipped here any longer to build the products.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    I'll play.
    While Marvin's spelling may be correct. His sentence structure sometimes leaves much to be desired. It is the structure of the engineer rather than of the poet or of the writer of literature. I do not pretend to be a wordsmith, nor the winner of my spelling bee on the prarie. My position in my eighth-grade class, I do not remember.
    In the real world brevity is valued , as I've realized you spent little time there I would not expect you to understand. As for my comments on testing, which is what you are apparently alluding to, I just wanted to point out that testing is the one fair way to choose winners & losers.

Marvin's intellectual snobbery, however, holds no bounds. He reads, he comprehends, above all of us...peasants, with dung between our toes. Marvin drops pearls at our feet. His intellectual superiority drips from every post. He does not hesitate to hold those who do not agree to his standards of spelling as inferior.
    I'll close, and give Marvin his due. He does not retreat. He engages.
    Unlike others, JD
    You've made posts in the past about this, as you see I have not changed (IYO), so apparently your opinion means very little to me.

But it goes deeper than that - when one posts & values their own opinion (& our time) so little that they will not make use of the dictionary nor spell check it says a lot to me about where they originate. Did you comprehend that?

Marvin S

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    And at the end of the day the smartest kid in the eight grade class raised to the ranks to lower management and school board member, keep reminding yourself of your knowledge, your the President of your own fan club.

And at the end of the day the smartest kid in the eight grade class raised to the ranks to lower management and school board member, keep reminding yourself of your knowledge, your the President of your own fan club.
    Resurrecting JD's failed attempt at humor is just that . But when those such as your self go through life with a small tool kit holding dull tools I guess you take your kicks where you can get them.

Marvin S