The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter training

Default Winter training

I have a question for the folks who train in the snow. I'm shopping for wingers now and was wondering if I can use them during the winter months in MN? What is the coldest weather you would use them? Is it ok below freezing?

Thanks
    Jeff Brezee

HR Brezee Oak's Brother Bear SH
    Brezee Oak's Keep to the Code "Jasmine"

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

Coldest I have used mine was around 20. They did not throw as far in the winter as they did in the summer. I have Zinger II's.
    Mike Peters

I use BB most cold weather. If inside of the bumper gets wet BB will fizzle.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brezee View Post
    I have a question for the folks who train in the snow. I'm shopping for wingers now and was wondering if I can use them during the winter months in MN? What is the coldest weather you would use them? Is it ok below freezing?

Thanks

Short answer.... NO

Will they work below freezing - very close to the marginal/cutoff temperature. You'll find the winger may work once or twice but the bands will lose elasticity and fail to contract - they stretch out & just stay there - stretched out & limp... I'm not certain what the cutoff temperature is - I know when it's in the 30's they'll still suffice - I'd guess somewhere around 25 they fall off dramatically & somewhere near or just below there they're unusable.

SMO
    SMO

I train all year and have used my GU SOG in temps down to 15. They dont toss a bird like in summer but they do work.

I was using my wingers last week in WI. They worked OK, but like Mike and scully said they do not throw birds/bumpers as far compared to using them in the warmer weather. The bands just don't have as much loading power in the cold weather.
    Three Rivers Ice Breaker JH - ICE
    2014 1st Place - MJS Fastest Retriever Competition (40 dogs)
    2013 3rd Place - MJS Fastest Retriever Competition (40 dogs)

20 give or take a few degrees is the cutoff for the rubberbands. Pro Controls from Tri Tronics don't work very well at those temps either. Damn lucky to get one to go off at 50 yards at 20 degrees. Most of them won't work at 20 degrees. Hell, some of them won't even work at 45 degrees. Big shock when I realized that.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

My wingers work fine below zero. Bands are about 7 or so years old.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 01-22-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

I use my wingers up here in Alberta, but the cold does have an effect on them. The bands do not have the same elasticity, so they don't throw as far. As well the batteries in the remote releases tend to die pretty quick in the freezing temps.

Thanks, I appreciate the responses.
    Jeff Brezee

HR Brezee Oak's Brother Bear SH
    Brezee Oak's Keep to the Code "Jasmine"