RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Winter training

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Flying Dutchman 
#1 ·
I have a question for the folks who train in the snow. I'm shopping for wingers now and was wondering if I can use them during the winter months in MN? What is the coldest weather you would use them? Is it ok below freezing?

Thanks

#4 ·
Short answer.... NO

Will they work below freezing - very close to the marginal/cutoff temperature. You'll find the winger may work once or twice but the bands will lose elasticity and fail to contract - they stretch out & just stay there - stretched out & limp... I'm not certain what the cutoff temperature is - I know when it's in the 30's they'll still suffice - I'd guess somewhere around 25 they fall off dramatically & somewhere near or just below there they're unusable.

SMO

#6 ·
I was using my wingers last week in WI. They worked OK, but like Mike and scully said they do not throw birds/bumpers as far compared to using them in the warmer weather. The bands just don't have as much loading power in the cold weather.

#7 ·
20 give or take a few degrees is the cutoff for the rubberbands. Pro Controls from Tri Tronics don't work very well at those temps either. Damn lucky to get one to go off at 50 yards at 20 degrees. Most of them won't work at 20 degrees. Hell, some of them won't even work at 45 degrees. Big shock when I realized that.

#9 ·
I use my wingers up here in Alberta, but the cold does have an effect on them. The bands do not have the same elasticity, so they don't throw as far. As well the batteries in the remote releases tend to die pretty quick in the freezing temps.

#11 ·
Keep winger in door until use. I have found the older the rubbers on the winger the more they recover. But usually can get one good set up before bands stretch. Band come back when you bring them inside.

#12 ·
Ken, I get pretty limp when it is -10 degrees and stay inside.

#15 ·
Jeff,

I have three GU SOGs on which I replaced the black rubber bands with the silver Theraband bands. These are sweet in the summer and throw birds and bumpers as far as the larger GU wingers. To be clear, though, they DO NOT WORK IN WINTER! The temperature at which the Theraband bands lose their elasticity is much higher than that for the black rubber. Just in case you were thinking of switching out to get more distance. You will have a problem in the cold.

As far as the black rubber, though, I'd echo what others have told you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.