The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: First timers

Default First timers

My 12 yo son and I are taking on the task of training a gun dog this spring. We have been reading different books and have some good friends who are going to help us along the way. Our goal for this year is to have our pup picking up ducks for us come the October season. While we are primarily interested in her being a hunting retriever we do plan on entering her in some field trials to get a title or two. My son Jake will be her handler when those days come. Just wanted to introduce myself and get the post count going so we could interact with you folks.

This is our girl Lola

Lola.jpg

Matt

Welcome...i was inyour shoes last year...the best training tool I used was Richard Wolters series of books; game dog, water dog,...they're fifty years old but just go chapter by chapter...i found them at the library but u can still buy them on amazon. Good luck and be ready for your dog to amaze u.

Water Dog was one of the 1st that we read and came as a recommendation. We have also read 10 Minute Retriever and are currently reading Smartworks. I'm really looking forward to seeing the boy and pup work together.

We have a 13 year old son who just shot his first duck a few weeks ago, and I think we have a duck hunter for life! In fact, his 13th birthday was yesterday, and he wanted to save the duck to eat for his birthday dinner!! We love bird hunting, and have decided that the next member of our pack will be a field-bred Lab. I'm new here too, and have been enjoying reading through the forum and learning lots.

Look forward to doing this as a family!!

Welcome to the world of retrievers ...It is addictive ...just warning you all....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Welcome to RTF it is easier than it looks.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

I think your gonna have a great time!
    FC AFC Slider/Junie