The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Skinner vs Pavlov

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    ....They don't seem to be the same thing to me.
    I agree. They aren't the same thing.

But, during Collar Conditioning, something changes with how the dog understands it.
    It's not just a matter of trying to escape or avoid it. They learn that they know HOW to escape or avoid it.

Difference is !
    Ivan Pavlov never had a collar.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

After 21 pages this thread is starting to http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FAVKG0I6XXA
    Bill Davis

Actually Bill when we start to talk about the similarity or difference between a marker and negative re-enforcement, it's a completely different discussion.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I agree. They aren't the same thing.

But, during Collar Conditioning, something changes with how the dog understands it.
    It's not just a matter of trying to escape or avoid it. They learn that they know HOW to escape or avoid it.
    I don't know if I agree with a dog's ability to reason like that either but doesn't really matter.

You're right, there's definitely an association. Turning of the pressure would be the same as the food/toy on the other side of the equation.

I suppose the marker is just a step in the chain that happens to be missing when we use -r.
    Darrin Greene

Along the same lines, you should be able to condition an association between a collar correction and a particular whistle tone or trill through consistent application. Once the association is made you should be able to maintain it with intermittent application of the collar and associated whistle tone. Ultimately, you should be able to get the desired response from just the conditioned whistle tone in situations where the dog does not have the collar on. I am sure people do this already but I do not consciously make it part of my training program. I do use whistle modulation to communicate with the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabireley View Post
    Along the same lines, you should be able to condition an association between a collar correction and a particular whistle tone or trill through consistent application. Once the association is made you should be able to maintain it with intermittent application of the collar and associated whistle tone. Ultimately, you should be able to get the desired response from just the conditioned whistle tone in situations where the dog does not have the collar on. I am sure people do this already but I do not consciously make it part of my training program. I do use whistle modulation to communicate with the dog.
    It would be nice to have a whistle tone/tune for telling the dog to get in the water at distance. Wonder if the judges would balk at that...

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    It would be nice to have a whistle tone/tune for telling the dog to get in the water at distance. Wonder if the judges would balk at that...
    No one would balk but they would consider it a cast, so if it were on a mark, you would get marked down, possibly dropped in some stakes.
    Darrin Greene

[QUOTEThat's true.

When a dog knows sit-to-flush, and a bird gets up, it can be held to a high enough standard that sit is enforceable with the collar, without the command being given.][/QUOTE]

Dog sampling a pile of birds on a blind. Push button ---dog returns
    Dog drops bird on his way back from retrieve,,dog is screwing around---push button dog picks up bird and straightens his act out.
    Dog returns after retrieve--- handler starts BSing-- dog veers off because of handlers lack of focus-handler wakes up-- handle rpushes button---dog returns to heel
    Dog rolls bird in mouth--handler pushes button---dog stops rolling

It works for any well conditioned response in context
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    No one would balk but they would consider it a cast, so if it were on a mark, you would get marked down, possibly dropped in some stakes.
    Good point.