RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Skinner vs Pavlov

42K views 210 replies 26 participants last post by  Jere 
#1 ·
This ought to be good. I could also have said Operant, vs Classical conditioning.

Which one do you consider "better", when applied to Retriever Training?
Or, if you think that OC is "better" for certain aspects of training, while CC is "better" for others, what would those differences be?

#206 ·
Along the same lines, you should be able to condition an association between a collar correction and a particular whistle tone or trill through consistent application. Once the association is made you should be able to maintain it with intermittent application of the collar and associated whistle tone. Ultimately, you should be able to get the desired response from just the conditioned whistle tone in situations where the dog does not have the collar on. I am sure people do this already but I do not consciously make it part of my training program. I do use whistle modulation to communicate with the dog.

#209 ·
[QUOTEThat's true.

When a dog knows sit-to-flush, and a bird gets up, it can be held to a high enough standard that sit is enforceable with the collar, without the command being given.][/QUOTE]

Dog sampling a pile of birds on a blind. Push button ---dog returns
Dog drops bird on his way back from retrieve,,dog is screwing around---push button dog picks up bird and straightens his act out.
Dog returns after retrieve--- handler starts BSing-- dog veers off because of handlers lack of focus-handler wakes up-- handle rpushes button---dog returns to heel
Dog rolls bird in mouth--handler pushes button---dog stops rolling

It works for any well conditioned response in context

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.