The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Women in combat?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSail View Post
    My understanding is that women have been in combat for quite some time now, but they haven't been getting paid for it like the men because of the restriction. They also say the battlefield is more fluid these days making it important that all people be trained and ready for combat.

Everyone here seems to focus on the supposed weaknesses they see, but no one has bothered to mention the strength that women can bring.

Link.

I have read other responses on other forums and unlike this one there are men and women in the military who support the move. One woman in particular who was physically fit and could out-do many of the young men in her unit. And I daresay, a physically fit woman who volunteers to fight for her country is going to be far more useful than an out of shape young man who is unwillingly drafted.

It is also interesting to me that the similar arguments were made against racial integration and then don't ask don't tell.

Thankfully, we don't live in this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

And check out this 111 lb woman. I think women can do more than people give credit for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tNThxHc4YE

At the end of the day anyone who is willing to fight for our country, male, female, black, white, gay or straight has my respect! It's a tough job and I wouldn't want to do it.
    There is no draft...
    Bill Davis

I know there is no draft but it doesn't change the fact that young men are required to register with selective service and can be called upon at any time if the country feels like it needs them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cockfield View Post
    There isn't a single professional sport or Olympic event where males and females are competing against one another.
    Brian, you're my hero and I agree with you about women in combat because you've been there and done that, but there is one little bitty mistake in your statement. In horse racing and the equestrian events men and women compete against each other.
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

Thanks Becky. My mistake; I wasn't aware about horse racing. I mean no disrespect to any women with my posts. Women do an outstanding job in the roles they are currently filling in our military. There are plenty of jobs to go around for everyone.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell.

Hell hath no fury like a scorned woman. Women commit some of the most horrendous acts and walk away like nothing happened as if its routine,

Brian, I know you didn't. I was just picking at you and I agree with every thing you've said.
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSail View Post
    My understanding is that women have been in combat for quite some time now, but they haven't been getting paid for it like the men because of the restriction. They also say the battlefield is more fluid these days making it important that all people be trained and ready for combat.

Everyone here seems to focus on the supposed weaknesses they see, but no one has bothered to mention the strength that women can bring.

Link.

I have read other responses on other forums and unlike this one there are men and women in the military who support the move. One woman in particular who was physically fit and could out-do many of the young men in her unit. And I daresay, a physically fit woman who volunteers to fight for her country is going to be far more useful than an out of shape young man who is unwillingly drafted.

It is also interesting to me that the similar arguments were made against racial integration and then don't ask don't tell.

Thankfully, we don't live in this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

And check out this 111 lb woman. I think women can do more than people give credit for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tNThxHc4YE

At the end of the day anyone who is willing to fight for our country, male, female, black, white, gay or straight has my respect! It's a tough job and I wouldn't want to do it.
    As to the women attached to the infantry. They're "attached". It's different than being the person who goes and looks for a fight and that fight isn't fair and it's dirty, messy, and bloody. As for more training for a firefight for a fluid front line? Well duh, a woman can pull a trigger too, but don't ever think that it's just about pulling triggers. I read an account of Vietnam firefight where our guys ran low on ammo and were surrounded, started sharpening their entrenching tools to be basically used as battle axes for hand to hand combat because the NVA were massing to try to overrun them. Don't think it can't happen in this day and age? I saw an interview with a Marine officer and his second in command went into a building in Iraq and were attacked by bad guys. The two marines got serperated in the fight. The second in command's pistol jambed and he went toe to toe with bad guy with his knife. He won by sticking said knife into the bad guy during the struggle by overpowering the bad guy.

As to the woman lifting a lot of weight? So what I used to be able to bench 350lbs 2 times when I was 197lbs with a lot less prep time and less pysching myself up. Not too many women can lift that and it's impressive. Now walk up to any infantryman and ask him if he had to be drug back to safety who he'd rather try that. Me or her? I think they'd choose me even now that I'm old and fat.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

Evidently there is already controversey concerning women in combat positions.
    Some of them are demanding body armour configured to fit their lady parts.

And so it goes.............
    Stan b & Elvis

Katelyn might make a good sniper ...
    http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepa...range-n1503406
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Katelyn might make a good sniper ...
    http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepa...range-n1503406
    Maybe at a base of some sort, but not part of a scout/sniper team that goes behind enemy lines.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD