The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: mouthing dummy

Kwicklabs I can see some truth in what your saying about being anxious. I have been following Hillmans method in that I'm trying to create that balance with the dog.

When I do throw the fun bumpers I may get the pup a little too excited with talking/excitement as shes retrieving a fun bumper. Pup has alot of natural drive and I'm probably overdoing it a little.

You mentioned (Slow down, be calm and quiet.......all the time when training) - Do you recommend that even when throwing the fun bumpers for balance? This pup is pretty calm and will sit amazingly steady until told to retrieve the bumper. I read on your site about the mouthing and the focus drill. Is this drill for a pup before it is force fetched or after?

I have been following Hillmans method in that I'm trying to create that balance with the dog.

When I do throw the fun bumpers I may get the pup a little too excited with talking/excitement as shes retrieving a fun bumper. Pup has alot of natural drive and I'm probably overdoing it a little.
    You've already identified the situation by saying “I'm trying to create a balance” and recognized the possibility that “I may get the pup a little too excited and probably overdoing it a little.” Therefore.....yes, I would suggest slowing down some, being a bit calmer and get closer to a balanced situation. Do what the pup needs.

This pup is pretty calm and will sit amazingly steady until told to retrieve the bumper. I read on your site about the mouthing and the focus drill. Is this drill for a pup before it is force fetched or after?
    I've read often how well pups are responding to his program. Next pup I start may find me using it. However, the drill you referred to has only been after FF. It is not an anti-mouthing drill rather a re-focusing exercise to enhance responsiveness. Which means hold, give/drop standards need to be in place. Indirectly (this may be the wrong time to use that word given the “other” thread) by enhancing responsiveness and focus, balance can be restored.

A pup can get so “amped” with retrieving that anxiety may be expressed as negative behaviors......you are “reading” the manifestation which will require a modification in tactics. Doing what the pup needs in the moment rather than just pushing on. The change in your demeanor and/or presentation does not have to be drastic.......just enough. The pup will tell you if it is working and it probably won't be overnight. You must have faith in what you have observed.

From what I've read, you've got a good handle on it.

For some perspective, I have one dog that never sees a fun bumper and her full brother "needs" them.
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 01-26-2013 at 11:46 PM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)