The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunt test?????

Default Hunt test?????

What does a pup have to do to get started on attaining their titles? I recon what im askin is for a puppy to get its JR title what does he/she have to do?? Can he /she get the title in one weekend? The way i understand it they must do like 4 things and them theyed get the title?? So can they do all 4 in one weekend at one test or like 4 different HTs???? Im tottally new to all this and trying to learn!! Thanks Jon

Must pass 4 tests. Each test is a day, some clubs would have a double, 1 test on Sat and one on Sunday. Each test the dog must retrieve 2 land and 2 water marks as singles. The dogs must deliver to hand on each retrieve. You can walk to the line on lead then hold collar till dog is released by the judge. Pass 4 tests and get a JH. Strongly recommend reading the AKC rules and knowing them well prior to running a test, also training with a group.

Good luck with your pup.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)
    Good Idea's The Cutting Edge- "Edge" 9/29/2014 (Grady x Good Idea's Touch of Class)

For AKC events the beginner level title is Junior Hunter (JH). Here is the link to the rules and requirements:

http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RHTRET.pdf

You must pass four separate tests. Some clubs will have two JH tests in one weekend, so the quickest you could get your JH would be two weekends with double JH events, if everything goes well.

Read the requirements, and if possible find a local test you can go watch before you try to enter your dog.

Meredith

First thing to do is contact KC HRC, www.kchrc.com/ , KC RC, www.kcrc.net/ or NW MO RC
    You can go to the HRC website, www.huntingretrieverclub.org/ or the AKC site www.akc.org/ and find out all there is to know about the rules and amount of passes it takes.

Seeing Gordy's reply, bring to mind the question, what kind of title are you after? There is the AKC hunt test program, and the UKC hunt test program. There are slight differences in the way the tests are run. The dog must be registered with the organization you are trying to title with. Information about both is available on the internet and here at RTF... let us know which title you're interested and we'll be able to help you better.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

The dog is registered thru AKC and can be done thru UKC whatever it takes. This is my first dog ive trained and so far so good (so i think....and a few friends). Any way my goal is a MH for starts and well go from there!!!! Just seems pricey for all the times one must enter let alone travel expenses to reach each level, i dont give a DAMN about winning moneys but just to try for these titles wow!!! Dont laugh when i show up in a CAR with the pup in the BACK SEAT lmao!!!! And again i may not be really understanding all this just yet. Thank you all so much for the info!!
    Last edited by Jon Shinneman; 01-25-2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added "laugh"

"Just seems pricey for all the times one must enter "
    Tell me about it. I made the mistake of looking at my account on EE on what I've spent thru them on entry fees! OUCH!!

Get hold of the rule books

They COULD get it in one weekend, but will most likely take at least two weekends. Look for "doubles" meaning two tests in the same day at the same place... See the link below ... This was a question I had a few months ago... Luckily, my dog went 4 for 4!

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...94#post1013994

Quote Originally Posted by mojon View Post
    The dog is registered thru AKC and can be done thru UKC whatever it takes. This is my first dog ive trained and so far so good (so i think....and a few friends). Any way my goal is a MH for starts and well go from there!!!! Just seems pricey for all the times one must enter let alone travel expenses to reach each level, i dont give a DAMN about winning moneys but just to try for these titles wow!!! Dont laugh when i show up in a CAR with the pup in the BACK SEAT lmao!!!! And again i may not be really understanding all this just yet. Thank you all so much for the info!!
    There's plenty of room in the sport for hobbyists like us. For the first year or two, my stray dog n I were in a car. Nobody laughed (not even at my good jokes)

Come on in, the water's fine

Most likely it will take you at least 2 weekends to earn your first title (Sat, Sun + another Sat, Sun)
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.