The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gestation days between insimination and delivery for frozen semen/surgical implant

Default Gestation days between insimination and delivery for frozen semen/surgical implant

That is a long title for the time between when the thawed semen is surgicaly implanted and the day of dilivery. I know that 63 days is the normal gestation for a natural breeding, but I would like to know how many days using frozen semen. I would appreciate knowing so I can better judge to plan when the whelping would take place, when to insist on a C-section due to the lives of the puppies etc. If you could give the days from personal experience I would greatly appreciate it and at a later date I will follow up with our own experience. Thanks in advance, Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

My bitch just had a litter using frozen semen AI. 60 days from implant to 12 pups.
    KARMA - The return on your entries will increase the sooner you decide to contribute one of your weekends to be in the judge's chair and judge others who have done the same for you.

59 days for me

Not surgical but TCI.

59 days x 5. 61 days yesterday via caesarian.

Yesterday morning ultrasound suggested normal heatbeats, placentas etc. Drove home, two hours.Vet telephoned a couple of hours later, progesterone suggested whelping should have begun.
    Decided caesar. Two pups (already known due to last weeks puppy count radiograph)
    Good luck. (Sorry any typos -keyboard sticky)
    Last edited by Aussie; 01-25-2013 at 12:00 AM.
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

Due date is 63 days from ovulation regardless of the type of breeding, though obviously a bitch may actually whelp a day or two on either side of that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Due date is 63 days from ovulation regardless of the type of breeding, though obviously a bitch may actually whelp a day or two on either side of that.
    Yup!!!

Angie

Banned

Yep x 3.

63 days from ovulation. Most implants are done 48 to 72 hr approx after ovulation.

WRL

Thank all of you all for your replies. Our experience has been: the vet determines when the LH surge occurs, sends a blood sample to Cornel for an RIA test, and that determines the date and time of the surgical implantation. The pups arrive 59 to 60 days later ( usually starting around 10 to 11 PM) that's what makes these "all nighters" so much fun. Guess I will have to try one or two more just for fun.

Thanks again for all the replies, Bill
    Last edited by Bill Watson; 01-25-2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: fat fingers causing miss spelling
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

Not to argue....But I was told by my Repo vet that if we don't have Pups by the 59 day of a surgical we have major problems. Whelped on day 58.
    Jason Brion
    www.jlbretrievers.com

HRCH Brion's Zoey MH QAA
    HR Ruff River's Black Magic Marker MH QAA
    HRCH JLB Rough's Roman Goddess MH QAA
    HR JLB Steady As A Rock JH

65 days from the surge or 63 from ovulation. Implants are done usually on day 5 after the surge but this assumes the surge/ovulation/ maturation of the eggs all occur normally. Pups can come 4 days +/- the projected due date without issues. Had a litter come 6 days late without issue once. Progesterone will spike during ovulation and continue to rise until it levels off and stays high for the entire pregnancy. If it does not stay high the litter will be lost. Females can have a split heat with a false surge which is why testing should continue all the way until the implant. I had a female AI'd(side by side) several years ago 5 days after the surge and then got a tie with the same male two weeks later. The litter was born 63 days after the tie. I am fortunate to have access to RIA progesterone testing in house and only $18 per test/sample. We use smears to confirm the second half of the cycle to be sure the eggs are ripe. I have used progesterone to confirm ovulation after ultra sound revealed no pups at 30 days post implant. If it had not been high we would have known ovulation did not occur. Murphy's Law always applies.